This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Bootup Screen redesign?

I have always hated the look of the Kubuntu bootup screen -- am I alone?
    I love it!
    0%
    I don't really care what it looks like
    0%
    I hate it!
    0%

Re: Kubuntu Bootup Screen redesign?

You are talking about the USplash theme right? The one with the Kubuntu name and logo over a plain black background, with scrolling text?

(Just want to make sure before I cast my vote. )
    Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Abstained from voting since none of the choices available matched my thoughts :P

I don't find it that bad, but I'm sure it could be improved. Problem is AFAIK there are rather strict restrictions on usplash themes, like only 16 colors etc.

Maybe there will be yet a new theme in Edgy

Comment

Yeah... hate is such a strong word... :P

I don't hate it. I just don't like it. I know some like it because of the scrolling text which notifies you (at least) of what's happening. I like that, too. But I don't understand why everything else has to be 16-colors only.

The USplash program itself is a pain to customize, partly because of the color limit. I'm a customization addict. If I could customize almost every single part of my computer, I would, because I could, because I want to. But customizing USplash has been a bit of a PITA. Not only do you need to "compile" the image into a .o file then to a .so file, you also need to reformat your image's palette so that it would be displayed properly. But, you also have to make sure that the image's original colors/background itself is compatible with USplash's requirements in the first place.

And we haven't even talked about customizing the GRUB menu.

EDIT: Just wondering, shouldn't this topic be in the "Anything" section?
        Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Out of the one time a month (sometimes not even) I restart/shutdown kubuntu, I don't mind the screen.
          <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

Working...
          X