This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Add to system:/

I've been using Kubuntu since Breezy (now on Dapper), I didn't think anything could replace Mepis, but Kubuntu has.

Anyways, a point of persistent frustration is the "system:/" folder. The folder itself is a great addition - my wife likes it because she can now find stuff without remembering the paths. But I have a beef with it.

You can't add other shortcuts to it! Not even as root. I can't find the folder, so I can't change permissions (I imagine I can add write privileges). For example - all my samba shares that get mounted (using smb4k) don't appear in the system:/ folder. You can access them via the "remote places" area, but I have them mounted for a reason!

Of course I can access them through /mnt/server/share - which is where they mount - but making the system:/ folder incomplete makes it largely irrelevant.

This isn't a gripe, it'd just be nice to have write permissions (at least as root) to this area by default. Anyhow, kubuntu has been spectatular. I've been able to easily fix any problems I've had - such as the kicker going away, the ati drivers screwing up my xorg config, and a few other minor things. Great work to the devs!

Re: Add to system:/

The reason you couldn't find a folder for system:/ is because it isn't a folder at all. It is a KIO slave. Basically what a kio slave does is to allow you to access files/data/locations using a consistent method. So some of these are basically fixed in their content (system:/, settings:/), while some are dynamic (media:/, man:/, info:/)

Also, you might be more interested in the media:/ kioslave, which is a direct way to access mounted media (it's the Storage Devices in system:/). Furthermore, it might (just might) help if you mounted in the /media directory rather than in /mnt. I'm not 100% sure on that, though.
    Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Working...
    X