Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

configure net with ndiswrapper on install...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

configure net with ndiswrapper on install...

It would be nice if on the kubuntu installer, when configuring the network, asked if you would like to use Ndiswrapper to configure your network and point ndiswrapper at a drive that has the .inf file on it. (This seems like it would be a common configuration option -- well at least for wireless laptop users like myself.)

Re: configure net with ndiswrapper on install...

might be legal problems (redistribution) with doing that, hence why it isn't already included.
    <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

Isn't Ndiswrapper a GPL'ed program?

I understand that we can't distribute the windows drivers; but I don't see any legal problems with having a option on the installer to use the Ndiswrapper program and point at the directory that has the windows driver. In my opinion, an automated wireless setup is the biggest deficiency of the Ubuntu distros.

I know some Live cd distros that have this option and it really just makes the user experience that much easier. (i.e knoppix has this option)

Comment

while i don't really care if the installer prompts the user to set up ndiswrapper, i feel very strongly that it should be included on the liveCD (and therefore installed by default when using the liveCD installer) i'm pretty sure that when i installed ubuntu breezy it included ndiswrapper by default. however, i installed kubuntu dapper flight 7 from a live CD and ndiswrapper was not included.

overall though, very happy with kubuntu dapper so far. great work devs!

Comment

I don't think it would be a problem at all to include a nice wizard that includes ndiswrapper.  There is nothing illegal about using the drivers that go to the wireless card that you legitimately purchased. 

It seems to me that the goal of linux is to win over users that are used to windows "automatic-ness" (like me )  I think it would reduce the stress level by 100% for those who actually would just like things to "Just Work"

Comment

This would be a great addition, as it would make it possable for laptop users to do a full install without having wired net acess. I'm kinda suprised that is isnt already installed considering the quality of the rest of the distro.

Comment

I agree. As a very recent convert (though I've been looking over the wall for some time), the biggest headache I had in getting drake up an running was getting my Belkin usb wireless adapter working. There is lots of information available but it took a few trials and errors to get things just right. Less persistent trialists might have given up and gone sculking back to windoze.

Comment

Working...
              X