This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Recycle Bin and other stuff

Here are my requests for the finished GG.
    1. Please move the waste bin from the task bar to the desktop itself. It takes up valuable room, and I would prefer the right hand side of the clock to contain the switch off and lock buttons.
    2.Please enable Konqueror to be able to cope with today's web sites i.e flash, real player incorporated for media (TV) streaming, etc. I would rather use Konqueror as it automatically sends rss feeds to Akgregator.
    3. I also like using the Kontact suite as they work well together. so do keep these as the default mail, contacts, etc.
    4. Can we have a way to make the boot list more like the one in PCLinux (I think!) where you can edit your list in the boot loader menu so that it says Kubuntu OS, Vista Premium for example, it looks so much better and more professional somehow!
    5. Allow the user the choice of using either Adept or Symantic as package loader.

Thanks TG

Re: The Recycle Bin and other stuff

Originally posted by technogran
    1. Please move the waste bin from the task bar to the desktop itself.
    To create a trash icon on your desktop, open a text editor and paste the following:

[Desktop Entry]
    Comment=Contains removed files
    EmptyIcon=trashcan_empty
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Icon=trashcan_full
    Name=Trash
    NoDisplay=false
    OnlyShowIn=KDE
    Type=Link
    URL=trash:/

and save it as ~/Desktop/trash.desktop

Once you get the icon on the desktop you can remove it from the panel
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

5. Allow the user the choice of using either Adept or Symantic as package loader.
      Good news -- we already have it! Just
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install synaptic
      in a Konsole window, and your wish is fulfilled!

Comment

1. Please move the waste bin from the task bar to the desktop itself.
        What is peoples obsession with the trash can. This is probably the most asked question i get when I show people Kubuntu. I just open my trash can and found it was empty, why? because when I right click to delete something I select delete not "move to trash can". Maybe it's just me but I usually delete something because I don't want it.

eriefisher
        ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Here are my requests for the finished GG.
          1. Please move the waste bin from the task bar to the desktop itself. It takes up valuable room, and I would prefer the right hand side of the clock to contain the switch off and lock buttons.
          Just follow Snowhog's instructions, because it will not be put on the desktop by default. The directive to put the Trash icon on the panel was from Mark Shuttleworth, as far as I know. He wants the desktop to be initially clean.

2.Please enable Konqueror to be able to cope with today's web sites i.e flash, real player incorporated for media (TV) streaming, etc. I would rather use Konqueror as it automatically sends rss feeds to Akgregator.
          It already does. Just go to a site with Flash content and a dialog will popup asking if you want to install Flash. As for other streaming video formats, you just need to have the proper codecs installed, and the embedded video player (KMPlayer) will be able to handle them.

3. I also like using the Kontact suite as they work well together. so do keep these as the default mail, contacts, etc.
          Hmm?? Kontact has always been there. That will not change.

4. Can we have a way to make the boot list more like the one in PCLinux (I think!) where you can edit your list in the boot loader menu so that it says Kubuntu OS, Vista Premium for example, it looks so much better and more professional somehow!
          A GRUB editor will be made available on Ubuntu for Gutsy, as a product of a Google Summer of Code project. We would have to wait for the next release to have it in Kubuntu with a KDE frontend most probably (you might be able to use the GTK/GNOME one in the meantime).

Of course, you could always manually edit /boot/grub/menu.lst to suit your desires. It's not so easy to use PCLinuxOS' (or Mandriva's) GRUB editor. It's not easy to port one distro's homegrown tools over to another.

Like what dibl said, just install synaptic if you want to. But Kubuntu's going to stick to a KDE app by default. But you're always free to change defaults anyway. You can even use KPackage if you want to.

@eriefisher: Unfortunately or fortunately, not everyone has the same computer habits as you. There will always be a need for a Trash on whatever (GUI) OS.
          Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Originally posted by eriefisher
            I right click to delete something I select delete not "move to trash can". Maybe it's just me but I usually delete something because I don't want it.
            Now there's a user liv'n on the edge for sure!
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

[quote=Jucato ]
              It already does. Just go to a site with Flash content and a dialog will popup asking if you want to install Flash. As for other streaming video formats, you just need to have the proper codecs installed, and the embedded video player (KMPlayer) will be able to handle them.
              No it doesn't!
              When I open up a site with flash content in my konqueror it is so flabbergasted and shocked that poor little konqui drops dead almost instanteous.
              Firefox, however, works fine so I assume that the correct packages are installed... by now I blame it all on being unstable software so I switched back to Firefox (after Konqueror of FeistyFawn made me switch from Firefox to Konqueror), knowing that better times -with flash in Konqueror- will arise quite soon.
              However, if you know any dirty tricks to make flash work in Konqueror RIGHT NOW - let me know.

Comment

I forgot the fact that you are on Gutsy, which is still in the alpha stage of development. I can't recall where I got the info from, but I believe that there's a bug in Gutsy where the Flash plugin is causing to Konqueror to freeze, unless someone else using Gutsy here can correct me.

But basically, except for Kubuntu Gutsy:
                1. Flash works fine in Konqueror
                2. There's an automated script that pops up to install Flash the first time you need it.
                Jucato's Data Core

Comment

the main reason why I like kubuntu over ubuntu apart fromt the colour was that I could have nothing on my desktop until I moved the curser over the taskbar so I would prefer not having anything as I tend to delete things by hotkeys rather than dragging

what I would love is knowing which wifi cards work out of the box with the distro, I have posted about two types of d link cards, have loaded ndiswrapper but I still haven't taken my compaq preserio 1200 laptop for a spin in the bistro because commands lines defeat me
                  every day is a gift

Comment

Originally posted by Jucato
                    I forgot the fact that you are on Gutsy, which is still in the alpha stage of development. I can't recall where I got the info from, but I believe that there's a bug in Gutsy where the Flash plugin is causing to Konqueror to freeze, unless someone else using Gutsy here can correct me.
                    You're right, the bug seems to be related to the gtk/glib issue that affects openoffice as well:
                    (there is a workaround for openoffice, none so far for konqueror/opera flash...at least not without downgrading packages)

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...se/+bug/127876
                    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rg/+bug/127944

Comment

Well thanks to all of you for your very informative replies. Regarding the 'flash' with Konqueror, I think that this has now been resolved in some of the latest updates, as I have been able to now go to a website and flash 9 was installed okay. However, I still have not sussed how to get Real Player 10 working in Konqueror, have tried everything in the past apart from standing on my head (a bit too old for that!) and then have to use Firefox which does use it. this is because I need this for the BBC site, which needs either WindowsMP or Real Player in order to view archived material on their site.
                      As for the waste bin, well I will try your suggestion, but I did think that I could just click on it and remove it from the Kicker, then select it and place it on the desktop. Us ordinary mortals would like to choose how we want things to work, but without having to input loads of stuff to do so.
                      Anyway I am glad that my wishlist had you all having a debate, tihs is what forums are for!

TG

Comment

As for the waste bin, well I will try your suggestion, but I did think that I could just click on it and remove it from the Kicker, then select it and place it on the desktop. Us ordinary mortals would like to choose how we want things to work, but without having to input loads of stuff to do so.
                        Eventhough I like the dustbin where it is (on the panel) because it keeps me from closing windows just to empty it on that rare occasion. I agree with you to a point. That is what Linux is about.
                        Having said that, KDE is extremely configurable. More so than any desktop on any OS I have tried
                        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                        4 GB Ram
                        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Kubuntu is a KDE/Qt based distro, it doesnt and probably never will, include any GTK based application. And as stated its just a command away.

I hate Konqueror, but one thing I can say for sure is that when Firefox wont properly play media on a site, Konqueror has always saved the day. It seems to handle streaming media much better out of the box. I find it odd that you are having difficulties in this area.

Comment

Working...
                          X