This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feisty, uses UUID by default

I have two computers and have had to stop using Ubuntu 7.04 and Kubuntu 7.04 on both.

Feisty, fstab uses UUID by default, which changes any time you format a partition, grub will not boot.. When you drop to root shell, you need to edit your fstab and change the partitions that were formatted to their new UUIDs.

Will this be fixed in Gutsy ?

I would like to be able to go back to using Ubuntu & Kubuntu. Dapper Drake was the most perfect release ever in my opinion !

cheers,
    obnascar

Re: Feisty, uses UUID by default

1. No it won't go back. They switched to UUID in order to take out the hassle when rearranging hard drives.
    EDIT: Of course, this isn't set in stone, so maybe if something terribly bad happens that will make them go back to the traditional way, they would.

2. Yes, by nature, UUID changes whenever you modify a partition (delete, create, etc.)

But...

3. There's no reason for you to stick to using UUID if you don't want to. you can, without any problems, use the traditional /dev way in your fstab.

So, go back to using /dev and enjoy.
    Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Originally posted by obnascar
      Will this be fixed in Gutsy?
      Of course not; the guys in charge are not even willing to call this bug a bug :P
      But, as Jucato has written, eliminating the UUIDs is possible (further reading).

Comment

The use of UUID is not a bug because it's an intended behavior on Ubuntu (not just Kubuntu, btw. It came from the core-devs). Also UUID's are not exclusively from Ubuntu. I have a Linux Bible 2005 that mentions UUID, together with /dev and LABEL as different ways to call a partition. Ubuntu didn't invent UUID's. They just took advantage of an already existing feature in an attempt to make things easier for users.

Whether they've succeeded or introduced an even bigger problem, it's not for me to decide.

(Oh, and moving/creating partitions really changes the UUID. That's not a bug either. It's their nature.)
        Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Originally posted by Jucato
          1. No it won't go back. They switched to UUID in order to take out the hassle when rearranging hard drives.
          EDIT: Of course, this isn't set in stone, so maybe if something terribly bad happens that will make them go back to the traditional way, they would.

2. Yes, by nature, UUID changes whenever you modify a partition (delete, create, etc.)

But...

3. There's no reason for you to stick to using UUID if you don't want to. you can, without any problems, use the traditional /dev way in your fstab.

So, go back to using /dev and enjoy.
          Is there any "HOW-TO'S" or "DOCUMENTATION" on the process of setting up the traditional /dev way ?

Comment

What do user's do when they format a partition and Ubuntu/Kubuntu will not boot anymore ?

Comment

Is there any "HOW-TO'S" or "DOCUMENTATION" on the process of setting up the traditional /dev way ?
              Just simply substitute the UUID parts with the correct /dev notation. There's no special procedure that needs to be done.
              Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Originally posted by Jucato
                Just simply substitute the UUID parts with the correct /dev notation. There's no special procedure that needs to be done.
                Why could there not be an option to choose which way the user prefers when installing instead of hacking the fstab later ?

Comment

Why could there not be an option to choose
                  Because some folks obviously are refusing to accept that causing trouble is not an improvement in itself ... :P

Comment

Okay, I just installed DreamLinux to test. Well upon reboot I got the now famous UUID message. I cannot bot into recovery mode so I can't do much as I am not very good with the CLI.

So I loaded my PClinuxOS live CD and did the following changes in Feisty:

/grub/menu.lst:
                    title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-16-generic
                    root (hd0,7)
                    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic root=/dev/sda8 ro splash acpi=off
                    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-16-generic
                    quiet
                    savedefault

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-16-generic (recovery mode)
                    root (hd0,7)
                    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic root=/dev/sda8 ro single

then my fstab to:
                    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
                    #
                    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
                    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
                    /dev/sda8 / ext3 nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1
                    #UUID=cd1e9366-437b-4d63-8e0b-6f7770091c19 / ext3 nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1
                    /dev/sda5 /Data vfat iocharset=utf8,umask=000,uid=0,gid=0,auto,rw,nouse r 0 0
                    #UUID=CCA0-D201 /Data vfat iocharset=utf8,umask=000,uid=0,gid=0,auto,rw,nouse r 0 0
                    /dev/sda6 /Vmware vfat defaults,utf8,umask=007,uid=0,gid=46,auto,rw,nouse r 0 1
                    #UUID=309F-309F /Vmware vfat defaults,utf8,umask=007,uid=0,gid=46,auto,rw,nouse r 0 1
                    /dev/sda7 /home ext3 nouser,defaults,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 2
                    #UUID=8302ec8c-7f94-4010-b557-33aad6573e50 /home ext3 nouser,defaults,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 2
                    /dev/sda9 none swap sw 0 0
                    #UUID=6744ce22-e72f-4dc8-947d-c33396dc74c3 none swap sw 0 0
                    /dev/sda1 /media/sda1 ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,uid=0,gid=46,auto,rw,n ouser 0 1
                    #UUID=20F0D241F0D21D3C /media/sda1 ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,uid=0,gid=46,auto,rw,n ouser 0 1
                    /dev/sda10 /media/sda10 ext3 nouser,defaults,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 2
                    #UUID=6368746f-2074-616b-6f65-207575696400 /media/sda10 ext3 nouser,defaults,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 2
                    /dev/sda11 /media/Dream auto nouser,atime,auto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
                    #UUID=6368746f-2074-616b-6f65-207575696400 /media/sda11 ext3 nouser,defaults,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 2

/dev/sda12 /media/mint auto owner,atime,auto,rw,nodev,exec,nosuid 0 0

/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
                    /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0

Well that didn't work either. I still get that UUID error at boot. Neither the normal boot nor recovery mode gets me anyhwere >

I would really like my feisty back and don't feel like reinstalling.

Any help is deeeeply appreciated
                    Thank you
                    G

Comment

Originally posted by GANDOLF
                      Well upon reboot I got the now famous UUID message
                      Another one byting, er, biting the dust ...

I cannot bot into recovery mode so I can't do much as I am not very good with the CLI.
                      (Re-)Boot into a live system and access the files of your installation from there (as described on this page in analogy), then replace every instance of an UUID by the original device node (where "every" is the key word - as elaborated in this text as well as that one).

--

Postscript: reference updated

Comment

Thanks Rider.

then replace every instance of an UUID by the original device node (where "every" is the key word - as elaborated in this text as well as that one).
                        I thought I had done that in my fstab and menu.lst.

am I missing something??

Comment

am I missing something
                          Regarding the results you've (not) achieved so far, I'd say so (I'm afraid ...).

In the upper section of /boot/grub/menu.lst, there is at least on entry you seem to have missed.

Comment

OKay this is the (almost) full menu.lst:
                            ## ## End Default Options ##

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-16-generic
                            root (hd0,7)
                            kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic root=/dev/sda8 ro splash acpi=force
                            quiet
                            savedefault

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-16-generic (recovery mode)
                            root (hd0,7)
                            kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic root=/dev/sda8 ro single

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-15-generic
                            root (hd0,7)
                            kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic root=/dev/sda8 ro quiet splash
                            initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-15-generic
                            quiet
                            savedefault

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-15-generic (recovery mode)
                            root (hd0,7)
                            kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic root=/dev/sda8 ro single
                            initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-15-generic

title Ubuntu, memtest86+
                            root (hd0,7)
                            kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
                            quiet

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

# This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the Debian
                            # ones.
                            title Other operating systems:
                            root

title Mint, kernel 2.6.20-16-generic
                            root (hd0,11)
                            kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic root=/dev/hda12 ro quiet splash
                            quiet
                            savedefault

title Mint, kernel 2.6.20-16-generic (recovery mode)
                            root (hd0,11)
                            kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic root=/dev/sda12 ro single

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
                            # on /dev/sda1
                            title Microsoft Windows XP Professional
                            root (hd0,0)
                            savedefault
                            makeactive
                            chainloader +1

title Dreamlinux MMGL Edition
                            root (hd0,10)
                            kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18.1-kanotix-1 root=/dev/hda11 ro quiet vga=791 splash=silent
                            initrd /boot/initrd

title Dreamlinux MMGL Edition (recovery mode)
                            root (hd0,10)
                            kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18.1-kanotix-1 root=/dev/hda11 ro quiet vga=791 single
                            initrd /boot/initrd

#this was added to the current menu by grubmenugen.rb
                            title
                            root (hd0,10)
                            chainloader +1

#this was added to the current menu by grubmenugen.rb
                            title
                            root (hd0,10)
                            chainloader +1

Comment

OKay this is the (almost) full menu.lst
                              ... and still not what I'm meaning ...

Code:
                              ROOT # more /boot/grub/menu.lst | grep 'root'  [in excerpts]
                              # kopt=root=/dev/sda2 ro <= that's also relevant (despite the hash key)
                              kernel  /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-11-generic root=/dev/sda2 ro quiet splash
                              kernel  /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-10-generic root=/dev/sda2 ro quiet splash

Comment

Working...
                              X