X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Option to install all proprietary/restricted codecs

Hi everybody

I would like to have in Gutsy an option to install every freaking proprietary codec that is stored in ubuntu.com repository (so I will not have to install ubuntu-desktop package and answer yes every freaking time gstreamer asks whether to install a proprietary codec). I don't care if this will mean installation of some Gnome apps like Totem.

Secondly, do something with touchpad control, include some program like gsynaptics, please.

Re: Option to install all proprietary/restricted codecs

I think you'll find that proprietary codecs aren't stored in ubuntu.com repository at all. They're in medibuntu, which is encouraged, but not officially supported by the distro. Hence, they can't be installed until you activate the medibuntu repository.

That said, however, there are active discussions in developer circles about (*)buntu's policy with regard to proprietary codecs. One of the strongest arguments for providing them out of the box, by the way, is to keep people from messing up their installations by using Automatix. There are also strong arguments against proprietary codecs, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
      I think you'll find that proprietary codecs aren't stored in ubuntu.com repository at all. They're in medibuntu, which is encouraged, but not officially supported by the distro. Hence, they can't be installed until you activate the medibuntu repository.
      I don't know what you are talking about, in my Kubuntu Feisty /etc/apt/sources.list there is only one repository, ubuntu.com, and I installed many restricted codecs, eg. Windows Media codecs.

Comment

w32codecs and libdvdcss, the most commonly needed, are not in any official repos. They are in medibuntu.

Comment

Working...
        X