This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop Effect Option

Have desktop effects (possibly the new compiz/beryl merge) enabled by default, or at least easily selectable during install.

Re: Desktop Effect Option

actually, if you had read mark shuttleworth's gutsy announcement you'd have seen that he said it (compiz/beryl) will probably not be the default window manager by the time gutsy is released.

he said that he made the mistake of making the decision to do that with the last two (iirc) ubuntu releases and won't make that mistake again.

in other words, according to him (who makes the decisions), it won't be most likely, but he didn't rule it out of possibility entirely.
    <br />

Comment

I don't think beryl/compiz is ready for that just yet. It's nice and even great in some things but very guggy on others.

I would like to see metisse It looks great and works.

Just my 2c
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I was just reading the release notes for Gutsy Tribe 2. For Ubuntu, Compiz Fusion is now installed by default, not so for Kubuntu. I know KWin is supposed to support compositing by default now in KDE4, so why no Compiz Fusion in Kubuntu, as even an option?!?!

Comment

Probably because Kubuntu is still slave to ubuntu.

Above and beyond that gutsy is still in a beta phase that has other concerns to deal with.

Don't worry 3 months down the road we will have a great and beautiful new distro.

Comment

so, does compiz have gtk dependencies or something, even still, what a frustration.

Comment

As you said KDE 4 kwin supports most of the compiz effects. You should be able to install compiz from the repos, but the reasonable default option to me is Kwin.

BTW, kwin is quite more mature and support quite a lot more "corner" cases than compiz/beryl.

And finally, yes, compiz has a couple of gnome dependencies. Beryl is more desktop independent.I don't know what compiz fuzion policy will be.

Javier.

Comment

is there an easy way to put kde4 onto gutsy so i can use kwin's compositing?

Comment

No one that I'm aware of. But we have a couple of vague promises .

Javier.

Comment

just want to update this thread. Tribe 3 has been very uplifting, faily simple install of compiz and kde4. I am trying to install kde4 right now, can't do compiz as i am running vm, but the packages installed just fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X