This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kontrol Center Problem

i just noticed this a few days ago. its not a big problem, mainly just an annoyance, since i prefer to use kubuntu's system settings anyway. but...

my kontrol center is now entirely empty except for "Peripherals -> OBEX Devices". i also just noticed that all the kcmshell entries that normally show up in kontrol center are now in the "Lost & Found" system menu entry....

i can still run them from there or a command promopt, but does anyone know if this is a new feisty issue or something that went wrong on my end?

thanks
    <br />

Re: Kontrol Center Problem

Same here on feisty. I saw mention on kubuntu-devel that someone was tracking down the source. There's an xdg related error message if you watch the session log.

Comment

thanks for that confirmation and the tip. i installed the hal device manager about the same time this issue popped up. i wonder if that had something to do with it?...
      <br />

Comment

Control Center being empty is a known bug in Feisty. They're working on it.
        Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

Originally posted by Jucato
          Control Center being empty is a known bug in Feisty. They're working on it.
          thanks for confrimation. again.
          <br />

Comment

It's an easy fix. sudo rm -rf /etc/xdg/menus/kde-applications-merged/kde-essential.menu && sudo aptitude reinstall kdebase-data && kbuildsycoca. Voila!

Comment

thanks for that tip man, but thats not gonna work for me, at least atm....cuz aptitude wants to unintsall some essential packages when i do that command, so....

instead of:
              sudo rm -rf /etc/xdg/menus/kde-applications-merged/kde-essential.menu && sudo aptitude reinstall kdebase-data && kbuildsycoca

i did:
              sudo rm -rf /etc/xdg/menus/kde-applications-merged/kde-essential.menu
              then
              sudo apt-get install kdebase-data
              and said yes when it asked to install the maintainer's version of the config file. all is back to normal. i like kubuntu's system settings, kinda reminds of mac osx, but i like having kcontrol center as a drop-down menu (applet) on my kicker. thanks for the fix! i should have realized the fix myself, but i guess never paid that much attention to it since its not something i'd consider essential, for myself that is.

kudos.
              <br />

Comment

Working...
              X