This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I install Automatix

Been reading about Automatix. It looks to have a lot of useful repositories. Seems to be primarily designed for Ubuntu, though. How would I install it anyway? Thanks.

Re: How do I install Automatix

Many members here in the Forum would say "DON'T USE AUTOMATIX!" It does mess with the sources.list file used by Kubuntu, which results in a borked up, non-working system. When it happens (yes, I said when, not if) it is fixable, but why go through the hassles?

You can always add extra repositories in Adept Manager if you wish.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Avoid that just as you avoid Windows.

It also messes up your updates.

(that's what my experts tell me, and I've seen the mess here in this forum, too)
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Snowhog and Qqmike are right. What packages are you interested in, that you hoped to get with Automatix? Probably if you enable the Medibuntu repository you will be able to install them, and we won't have to fix your system later.

http://www.medibuntu.org/

Click the "Repository Howto" tab and follow the instructions for Feisty.

Comment

Do a search of AUTOMATIX in the forums and you will find the general opinion is . . .
          Toshiba Satellite 2800 P3M Coppermine @1GHz 256MB RAM GeForce 2 GO with 16MB DDR

Comment

ROFL!

Comment

I can only agree with all of the above, especially the dog

Unless of course you are a ingrained masochist and want really have fun :P

automatix was great for drapper and maybe (well not really)edgy, but since feisty we don't need it. Period.

getting medibutu is simple and easier that automatix ever was.
              HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Yeah but dibl misquoted the dog, who said Rolf! not Rofl.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
                  Yeah but dibl misquoted the dog, who said Rolf! not Rofl.

Yeah, well, I'm not famous for my linguistics expertise -- especially "dog-speak".

I recall with crystal clarity breaking Edgy with Automatix. All part of the educational process, I guess ....

Comment

If one were to be completely fair, we would probably need to say: If you want to use Automatix, then only use Automatix and never use Adept Manager for package installation or Adept Updater for package updates. It's the mixing of the two that causes the problems.

So, if you have been using Adept for package management, don't install/use Automatix unless, as Fintan stated, you enjoy pain and misery! :P

Comment

What then is Automatix2? Tried installing that but stopped it after reading the responses to my initial post. Doesn't Automatix have multimedia codecs that the regular repositories don't have? Please advise. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by jacatone
                        Doesn't Automatix have multimedia codecs that the regular repositories don't have? Please advise. Thanks.
                        No, not the codecs. The repositories to them, yes (I believe). But as I stated, you can add those repositories in Adept Manager.

Comment

I went ahead and installed Automatix2. It seems to have software that Adept doesn't have like a DVD ripper and various codecs. Seems to work OK, even with Adept. I'd like to have the same capabilities with Kubuntu that I have with WinXP.

Comment

I went ahead and installed Automatix2. It seems to have software that Adept doesn't have like a DVD ripper and various codecs. Seems to work OK, even with Adept. I'd like to have the same capabilities with Kubuntu that I have with WinXP.
                            In that case have fun and enjoy .

Just remember to uninstall automatix2 and anything you installed with it before you happen to want to upgrade to gutsy or hardy.

Likewise and as a precaution disable the automatix2 part in the /etc/apt/sources.lst when you are not installing with automatix2 and using adept or apt-get.

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                            4 GB Ram
                            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                            X