This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't seem to use "su"

When I try using just "su" and my password I get a "Authentication failure. Sorry" message. My password works everywhere else. What am I doing wrong here? Thanks.

Re: Can't seem to use "su"

You have to use the syntax:
    su username
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Found this interesting work around in Linux Magazine:

enter the following command:
      # sudo passwd root

At the prompt, provide the password for your main user account, and then provide a new password for the root account, twice. You should now be able to launch a terminal and type su and the root password to remain as root for the for the remainder of the session. No more annoying timeouts.

Comment

Of course there's no need to enable the root password just to get a root terminal:
        'sudo -i', 'sudo -s' and 'sudo su' will accomplish similar results as 'su'.

(It's generally not recommended to enable the root password unless you know what you're doing...and there usually is no need to enable it on a *buntu system)

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
          Of course there's no need to enable the root password just to get a root terminal:
          'sudo -i', 'sudo -s' and 'sudo su' will accomplish similar results as 'su'.

(It's generally not recommended to enable the root password unless you know what you're doing...and there usually is no need to enable it on a *buntu system)
          Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle

and there usually is no need to enable it on a *buntu system)
            Agreed. Our powerful "sudo" is perhaps both the best and worst feature of *buntu -- it certainly makes it very efficient for a single-user workstation, compared to Debian.

Comment

Besides, working as 'root by default' means that you are empowered to destroy your entire system, even if you don't intend to do so.

The safety that is provided by the use of sudo / kdesu when required, is I think, a beneficial feature of *ubuntu.
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                Besides, working as 'root by default' means that you are empowered to destroy your entire system, even if you don't intend to do so.

The safety that is provided by the use of sudo / kdesu when required, is I think, a beneficial feature of *ubuntu.
                Yep...I've seen many who did mistakenly destroy their system because they had root enabled. Not pretty.

Comment

Working...
                X