This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amarok won't start for user

This is really complicated. But, basically I've always had sound as a user but never as root.

No problem. I only used root for installs and sudo, etc. Mainly I was logged in as user.

But, today I (because of other things), found that root had no ESD exe, ( /usr/bin/esd) (neither did user for that matter) So, I did an apt-get install esound. Suddenly root had sound. I could play music files, etc.

So, I logged in as user and found that Amarok would no longer work. I get a little bouncing ball and the hourglass turns and then both just disappear. I go to the command line and type in amarok and the cursor just sits on the next line until I Ctrl+C it.

I do get a message box on login as user:

device: default can't be opened for playback (operation not permitted)

I've been crawling the web for a couple of hours for this and just can't find a solution. Any ideas?

TIA

Re: Amarok won't start for user

Originally posted by Allus

device: default can't be opened for playback (operation not permitted)
    This sounds like a problem in the "permissions" region of the Linux universe. I'm not sure how to reduce that observation into action -- I guess you could install audacity and/or xmms and try playing audio files with those, just to see if it's an "Amarok" issue or a "sound device availability" issue, for starters.

You also need to have the user and root both members of the "audio" group, among other things to check. This is in System Settings>User Management -- you click the user, then "modify" then make sure the "audio" group is listed in the little window on the right.

Other than these, I'd be searching Ubuntu Forum for similar problems -- they like Amarok too.

Comment

Working...
    X