This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4.0 in backports?

Are there any plans to add KDE 4.0 to the Feisty backports? If so, when might they show up?

--- SER

Re: KDE 4.0 in backports?

probably never, as I do believe that they would have to update a lot of the core and KDE/QT system libraries, etc in order to build it for feisty, which would probably break everything you already have

Comment

probably never, as I do believe that they would have to update a lot of the core and KDE/QT system libraries, etc in order to build it for feisty, which would probably break everything you already have
      Why would it break anything? KDE 3.5 and 4.0 can be installed side-by-side on Gutsy, so I don't see any conflict there. What core library updates need updates on Feisty for KDE 4.0? I suppose my question is whether anybody is looking into this.

It would be depressing if what you say is true. Gutsy breaks much of the functionality of my laptop that works correctly under Feisty. Is there a way to post this question to the KDE 4.0 package maintainers?

--- SER

Comment

the core libraries in Kubuntu Feisty that are used to build and run KDE3 there are not compatible with building/running KDE4. They would have to update so much that you would end up with Gutsy when it was all done in the end.

There are scripts and tools to try and build it for yourself if you want to try
        http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?ti...d/kdesvn-build, they are pretty responsive if they are active in the channel

And you can query some of the folks in irc on freenode in #kubuntu-devel

Comment

the core libraries in Kubuntu Feisty that are used to build and run KDE3 there are not compatible with building/running KDE4.
          Let me see if I understand this... even though KDE 4.0 beta (KDE 3.93) is available for Feisty and can be installed in parallel with KDE 3.x, KDE 4.0 final can't? You're saying that KDE 4.0 has library dependencies that KDE 4.0 beta doesn't, and these dependencies are enough to break it on Feisty?

There are scripts and tools to try and build it for yourself if you want to try
          Hm. The main reason I'm not running Gentoo anymore is because I got tired of doing this sort of thing, so I think I probably won't be trying this.

And you can query some of the folks in irc on freenode in #kubuntu-devel
          Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Comment

yes I am. Early on , it was OK, but as things progressed, and newer versions of some libraries used for KDE4 were out, it became too hard to support more than Gutsy and Hardy,

Comment

Working...
            X