This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox cause of unresponsive system?

I'm using Feisty and am about to give up on firefox. The OS and firefox are up to date.

Progressively as I am using Firefox it and Kubuntu become less and less responsive. After several hours one of two things will happen - either the whole shebang locks up leaving not option but to poweroff and do a cold restart, just like Windows OR Firefox crashes out and I get asked whether I want to "Terminate" or continue.

Any one else experiencing this or have a suggestions? Although, I am starting to get comfortable with Konqueror.

BTW I have uninstalled and re-installed firefox.

Re: Firefox cause of unresponsive system?

If you will run
    Code:
    in a Konsole window, and leave it running, it will show you for sure which process is hogging the resources at the point where your system becomes unresponsive. Firefox is fairly intensive, but there are other things like strigi that can also be a source of problems -- I'm just suggesting that you confirm that Firefox is actually the problem.

If it is, then you might want to look at some of the lightweight browsers like Iceweasel, in addition to Konqueror.

Comment

Re: Firefox cause of unresponsive system?

Originally posted by dibl
      If you will run
      Code:
      in a Konsole window, and leave it running, it will show you for sure which process is hogging the resources at the point where your system becomes unresponsive. Firefox is fairly intensive, but there are other things like strigi that can also be a source of problems -- I'm just suggesting that you confirm that Firefox is actually the problem.
      Thanks. I wasn't aware of "top". Useful.

However, I had already established that the hog is firefox, specifically firefox-bin

At start out is is consuming about 20% of CPU resources. Progressively that increases so after a couple of hours it starts to approach 100%

Cheers

Comment

Working...
      X