X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LCAR (SuperKaramba) problem

Hey everybody

Been awhile, I've been using Kubuntu a lot for my computer science classes, and I LOVE it.

However, I've been wanting to put up an LCARs theme to make it a little cooler. According to its page (http://www.kde-look.org/content/show...63ce48771d9e8a), it needed Beautiful Soup 3.03 and Python KDE, both of which I installed. However when I attempt to run the theme in SuperKaramba, a few tiny widgets appear in the center-left area of the screen, with no background, and the computer slows to a crawl until I uninstall the theme.

What am I doing wrong?

Re: LCAR (SuperKaramba) problem

Heres an SN of what I get.

[img width=400 height=225]http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q318/darklordiii/sreenshot.png[/img]

Comment

I doubt you are doing anything wrong, the theme is probably very buggy. I can't quite figure out how to set it up, and it doesn't look good when I click on the setup button, or any others, it becomes garbled and jumbled here for me.

Comment

Superkaramba has some very nice themes, but the last time I tried it, it was really buggy. I don't know if it was the theme I picked, or Superkaramba, but it didn't take me long to come to the conclusion that it was more trouble than it was worth, and it is long gone from my Gutsy system.

Comment

it depends on the theme creator, really. There are many great stable, easily configured themes out there (LiquidWeather, for example). Unfortunately, you don't know what you get till you try 'em out.

Comment

OK Well, either way I'm sick of the purple theme LOL

Is there a way to get some sort of black theme on here?

Comment

Some themes can take up a lot of resources depending on what your monitoring. My CPU constantly stays at 5 to 8% utilize due to Superkaramba, and that is due to the Theme I use - inspiron. It actually was a little worse than that, but I made some "modifications" myself and improved it, some.

Comment

Wow. I thought KDE was the superlight of GUIs.

Comment

lightweight??
                  KDE is not much different than gnome really in this regard

superlight usually means fewer features and bells

xfce (Xubuntu) is light, icewm/fluxbox and others (window managers, as opposed to full-fledge desktop enviros) are lighter still

btw, any system monitor applet is going to use up a certain amount of resources, whether is is a superkaramba theme, the kicker applet, ksysguard, or even running 'top' in the commandline

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
                    lightweight??
                    KDE is not much different than gnome really in this regard

superlight usually means fewer features and bells

xfce (Xubuntu) is light, icewm/fluxbox and others (window managers, as opposed to full-fledge desktop enviros) are lighter still

btw, any system monitor applet is going to use up a certain amount of resources, whether is is a superkaramba theme, the kicker applet, ksysguard, or even running 'top' in the commandline

Correct. That goes for any system any OS that uses any graphic intensive activities, monitoring daemons, etc. Par for the course.

Comment

The more you know...

Comment

I found a different LCAR theme that works much better.

http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...?content=54708

Comment

That one does look better thought out. I might try it. LCAR is the future . Maybe it will be Linux based!!

Comment

Working...
                          X