Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with "make" while installing libgpod (gtkpod lib)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Problem with "make" while installing libgpod (gtkpod lib)

Originally posted by opie
    I don't know if its the only problem but the missing library problem

"gtkpod: error while loading shared libraries: libgpod.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

is related to this:

"/usr/bin/install: cannot create regular file `/usr/local/lib/libgpod.so.3.0.0':
    Permission denied
    make[2]: *** [install-libLTLIBRARIES] Error 1"

which is a result of your running
    make install
    without sudo

make install is what actually moves the compiled libraries and application into their proper locations and sets up symbolic links for the libraries so you HAVE TO run this as

sudo make install

so you have root and can write files into the locations that are owned by root.

Okay! That worked just as advertised. Thank you! However, after the installation, when I click on gtkpod not much happens. I do see the image of an iPod dancing up and down beside my cursor and it appears my computer is cranking on something but then it just stops. Nothing happens. gtkpod never launches.

I did not get any further errors after the "sudo make install". I do have a gtkpod icon in my KDE > Multimedia>gtkpod menu. Everything looks correct. It just does not launch.

Does anyone have any idea what I could do to resolve this?

Thanks,

m
    sudo make me rich<br /><br />Kubuntu Gutsy 7.10<br />KDE 3.5<br />Compaq Presario 5000<br />Intel Celeron 1.2 Ghz<br />512 Ram, Riva TNT2 Video Card<br />All the above hardware is 7 year old junk but<br />Linux runs great on it.&nbsp; :&gt<br />Ham Radio Rules

Comment

Re: Problem with &quot;make&quot; while installing libgpod (gtkpod lib)

run it from the command line for further error messages

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
        run it from the command line for further error messages
        Ok. I did that and I got this.

mrmsudawgs@closet:~$ gtkpod
        gtkpod: error while loading shared libraries: libgpod.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
        mrmsudawgs@closet:~$

This looks similar to an error I got previously. What should I do?
        sudo make me rich<br /><br />Kubuntu Gutsy 7.10<br />KDE 3.5<br />Compaq Presario 5000<br />Intel Celeron 1.2 Ghz<br />512 Ram, Riva TNT2 Video Card<br />All the above hardware is 7 year old junk but<br />Linux runs great on it.&nbsp; :&gt<br />Ham Radio Rules

Comment

Go into konqueror, and open the /usr directory.
          Then search on

Code:
          *libgpod*
          and make sure "include subfolders" is checked
          to see if the either libgpod.so.3 or libgpod.so.3.0.0 is anywhere in the usr subdirectories.

Comment

I checked for the above files and did not find any in the usr directory. I suppose this is the source of my problem? If so, what do I need to do? Recompile? If I do need to recompile, do I need to delete all the stuff I've already compiled and, if "yes" then how do I delete them?

Thanks for the help.

m

Comment

if your libs are not in /usr/ are most likely in /usr/local/

You will need to uninstall and recompile libgpod, but it isn't too difficult.

Just go back to your libgpod sources and simply run 'sudo make uninstall'
              Then run
              'make clean' to , well clean out the sources so they can be recompiled
              Then re run configure like so:
              './configure --prefix=/usr'
              this will set it up to go to the correct place
              then redo make and make install

I forget that many apps default to /usr/local when you run configure, though most KDE apps don't need this option as they look for your kde setup.

I should have caught that earlier really

Comment

Can do. Will I need to uninstall / recompile gtkpod as well? I initially compiled libgpod first then gtkpod.

m

Comment

Originally posted by mechanism
                  Can do. Will I need to uninstall / recompile gtkpod as well? I initially compiled libgpod first then gtkpod.

m
                  Strike that previous question. I followed your steps the launched gtkpod with no problem. Now, where did put those pesky podcasts? :P

Thanks for your help. I've learned a lot about Linux via this exercise.

Comment

Enjoy your podcasts

Comment

Another option would probably have been to create a link to the lib file(This is for others who might come along looking for solutions).

Glad it worked out.

Comment

Working...
                      X