This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLVED; Can't Run Program from a Menu -- Works Great in Terminal

This is really strange. I installed gnubg but the install program did not add it to my KDE games menu so I added it manually. The program runs fine from a terminal, but it will not run from my menu. I've tried changing all the options I could with no success.

When I do run it from the menu, the program seems to start up but before the opening music finishes, the run cancels.

Here's the directory listing for the program in the /usr/games directory:
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1838872 2007-01-22 11:21 gnubg

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Mark
    "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Re: Can't Run Program from a Menu -- Works Great in Terminal

It may be that the terminal command to run the game was given after you navigated to the games directory.

If you created a shortcut, you might try opening the shortcut properties, navigate to the application tab, and check that the Work Path is set to something like:

/usr/games/gnubgdirectory

if that's where the game is located. /gnubgdirectory is the directory you created for gnubg, if you did -- if not and it is a stand-alone program in the Games directory, then just

/usr/games

If that doesn't help, what does it say in the Command line?

Comment

Thank you gilf. In the KDE menu, I did provide full path info and even tried adding /user/games/ in the Working Directory text box with out success. I think I've tried almost evey option I can think of, but please keep making suggestions because you never know what I missed. It's just weird that the game runs fine from a terminal window, but now from the a menu entry. Again, the program does start to run then stops before it finishes. The only thing I see from a menu run is the splash screen and the first 3 or 4 notes of the startup music.

Mark

"If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Comment

1. Right click K-Menu Icon at lower left of screen
        2. Select Menu Editor
        3. Find Games, Click on + symbol to expand the categories
        4.Right click on Board Games
        5.Select Add Item
        6. Enter Item Name (Gnubg) and click ok
        7.Enter Description (Backgammon)
        8. Enter Command (/usr/games/gnubg)
        9. Enter Work Path (/usr/games)
        10. Check "Run in Terminal"
        11. Close Menu Editor
        12 Choose "Save" changes

You're done.
        Attached Files

Comment

Gilf;

I did what you describe exactly and it still doesn't work. Since then I've add full path in the command line, then removed working directory, then deleted "run in terminal," run as a different user (root), etc, etc. I've gone through all the settings and it still does not work when run from the menu, but works great when run from a terminal.

Maybe I'll just delete it and start all over again from scratch. Hmmm.

Mark

Comment

Well, yes, maybe remove and re-download the game and install.

I downloaded the game myself just to test it as above. It plays fine from the menu as set up exactly as I did above.

I'm running vanilla un-upgraded Feisty Fawn 7.04.

I don't play backgammon and I have a modem connection, so the only use I gave it was installing to the menu and running. The board comes up fine etc. And I could add a screenshot here, but I'm sure you take my word for it!

Comment

Gilf;

Absolutely I will take your word for it. BTW, that game does not require an internet connection to play. You can play against the computer. I've been playing BG for years and I'm easily matched with the computer playing at the "casual" setting.

I think I'll try reinstalling it as you described and see if that works. Strange though if it does, don't you think? After all, we're working with Linux, not Windoze.

Mark

Comment

I have used gnubg on several machines and kubuntu distributions. The only thing I have ever had to do is add the "run in terminal" as described by gilf #10.
                FKA: tanderson

Comment

SUCCESS!!!

I uninstalled and reinstalled the program and now it works. Let's just call it a Windoze fix and move on. Thank you to everyone who contributed to this challenge. Long live the *ubuntu operating system and Death to M$ (until they learn to play nice, and give up E3 and FUD).

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by mhumm2
                    Let's just call it a Windoze fix and move on.
                    Let's not.

For understanding, what did you use to install the program, what did you use to unistall and reinstall?
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

No problem Snowhog, I respect tenacity! I used synaptic package manager. What are you thinking? because I'd like to know what happened as well.

Mark

Comment

I was wondering if you had used/were using Autmatix (bad, bad. Stay away!), but you didn't. That's a good thing. Not knowing what you have, and if you keep it on 24/7, I'm just wondering if the initial install required a reboot. That's really just a stab in the dark. That you have it working correctly is really all that matters.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                        X