This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu suddenly stopped working!

I haven't been getting much sleep lately since my new job, so I don't remember the last thing I did. All I know is that Kubuntu used to work fine, I had LAMP set up and I was using using Eclipse with PHP and tons of developer stuff installed...

Life was great back then...

Anyway, now when I try to boot it the progress bar fills, then it empties, and then I'm left with no x-server as far as I can see. I checked the logs but I don't know which one to look in and what to look for. I checked my Xorg.conf but it seems to be set the way I had working. I kept a copy of the working version on my PDA and the current one looks exactly the same.

If anyone can provide some guidance I would greatly appreciate it. I need this thing back up and I don't want to have to restore my back up and erase what work I did get done.

Things like this shouldn't be possible I want a system restore point

Re: Kubuntu suddenly stopped working!

Are you getting to a prompt at least? If so, what happens when you type:
    Code:
    startx
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I want a system restore point
      I feel ya'

Your video driver probably just became corrupted somehow . . .

What video driver are you using? Or what video card do you have?
      Asus G1S-X3:
      Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

I tried it in safe mode and telinit 3'd and when it hung I pressed enter and I was able to login to the terminal.

Right now I'm trying it in normal mode and typing just puts text on the screen.

I did also notice something about an Intel 915 graphics driver, but I have an GeForce 8800 GLX which was a pain to install and a dream to have working (worked fine for many months), I hope I don't have to go through that headache again.

Comment

I have the nVidia video drive, I believe it was the 9755

Comment

Actually, I think the last that happened before this issue was Songbird crashed. That's the only thing I can think of. Songbird always prompts me for a directory to search for music when it starts and I just click cancel usually, but I think I did something different and crashed it with Eclipse running.

That's all I can think of, now I'm going to be losing more sleep and forgetting more stuff...

Should I reinstall the nVidia driver? Does that even make sense? I know I did not adjust video settings or enable and special effects because I learned the hard way the kinds of troubles that can cause.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
              Are you getting to a prompt at least? If so, what happens when you type:
              Code:
              startx
              I just tried that from safe mode and I can actually see the error message response. Now thinking that an update messed my system up because the message says: (I paraphrazed parts)
              Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libglx.so
              Failed to load module "glx" (loader failed, 7)
              NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the GLX module...
              Error: API mismatch: the NVIDIA kernel module has the version 1.0-9755, but this X module has the version 1.0-9631. Please make sure that the kernel module and all NVIDIA driver components have the same version.
              NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize NVIDIA kernel module! Please ensure that there is a supported GPU....

Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
              no screens found
              XIO: fatal error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0" after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

Comment

Songbird is awesome!!! I've been watching it since it first came on the scene (it doesn't want to work right on my system in its current state, so I'm just going to wait for its official release).

Try using Envy to reinstall your Nvidia driver (I've done it several times for my slightly less appealing, but still very desirable 7300GS ) Just download the latest .deb package; to install it, I think I may have found a shortcut - as in it worked for me, but might not for you. Before you try the long(er) way, try running
                Code:
                sudo dpkg -i */envy* && sudo apt-get install -f
                If that doesn't do the trick, 'cd' to the directory to which you downloaded Envy, and enter the above command, minus the */ in */envy* (it should then look like envy*).
                Asus G1S-X3:
                Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Snowhog, you're a genious.

All I had to do was: "sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new" to replace the 9755 version with the new one. I feel so silly now

Sigh...

Now to find out if I should upgrade to Gutsy or not I'll definitely be applying a full system back up before this operation however. Too much to lose if it breaks my linux again.

Comment

Originally posted by T1Oracle
                    Snowhog, you're a genious.
                    Well, I doubt that. :P But thank you for the compliment. I'm glad that you are back in business. Isn't using Linux fun?

Comment

Originally posted by T1Oracle
                      Now to find out if I should upgrade to Gutsy or not I'll definitely be applying a full system back up before this operation however. Too much to lose if it breaks my linux again.
                      If you are satisfied with the system you have, as I am, you need to really ask yourself why you want to upgrade to Gutsy. I've seen so many posts about users who borked up their perfectly good system by upgrading to Gutsy.

Comment

If you are satisfied with the system you have, as I am, you need to really ask yourself why you want to upgrade to Gutsy.
                        Very good point.
                        Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

I agree. Given your present circumstances, now is not the time to be thinking about an upgrade.

Comment

Working...
                          X