This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Dont like ext3-Do you?

ext3 makes my computer feel too slow. Im just not feeling it anymore. I want to try something else, maybe Reiserfs? Whats the main differences and any major disadvantages? Also is it possible to change my hd from ext3 would Reiserfs without a format( I know this is highly unlikely but wtf). Also does Reiser have all the annoying folders and directories that ext3 comes with?
    Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon - Registered Linux User--> # 15709

Re: I Dont like ext3-Do you?

Reiserfs works good, in my experience, I ran it all year until I installed Gutsy and decided to try XFS.

One thing you need to know is that it is slower to boot up (but always the same -- there's no special fsck every 30th boot).

Another thing you need to know is "NO", you gotta format your Linux partition(s) to reiserfs, meaning a new Linux OS installation is required.

The last thing you need to know is, "YES" the Linux filesystem folders are all the same, regardless of the filesystem format.

Comment

Well i dont mind it being slow on booting but does it make it up with good copying speeds?

Comment

I never did a clean A/B comparison of ext3 to reiserfs file copying performance -- I wish I had. I've got multiple large hard drives on my system, and I was put off by that long fsck that ext3 has to do every so often, so I quickly decided to re-install Edgy with reiserfs on all the disks and partitions, and it ran very trouble-free that way, including one power loss and a couple of user-induced hard reboots. Now I've got mostly XFS formatted hard drives and partitions -- I want to see how it holds up that way. I have the impression that XFS also boots up faster than reiserfs -- I'm not sure if it is faster or slower than ext3.

I have the impression that if I were using a lappy, I would want ext3, because 29 out of 30 boots, you get the faster bootup. And of course you can change the frequency of that mandatory fsck to whatever you want (but you'd better do it periodically, if you value your data).

In this "how-to" are some links that have a ton of information about filesystems -- I think one of them has some performance comparisons that you might be interested in:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3087434.0

Comment

Thanks dibl, ill be trying a few file systems as i just got a spare hdd. Im looking forward to reiserfs and its a pity it properly wont survive after al the commotion. I hope someone picks it up,it could be a very important step for linux users. You never know.

Comment

Notwithstanding the rumors of the end of reiserfs maintenance, I'd say it will be around as long as any hard drive that you have today. 8)

Comment

Working...
            X