This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you install a Shell Script?

I downloaded a tar.gz file of Crossover and after opening that up, I'm left with a sh or Shell Script that opened in Kate. What do I do next with this thing? Thanks.

Re: How do you install a Shell Script?

If in fact it's a shell script, you need to make it executable. The command, in a konsole shell, is:
    Code:
    chmod +x scriptname
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Tried that and got the following result:

jacatone@Dell:~/Desktop$ chmod +x install-crossover-pro-6.0.0.sh
      chmod: changing permissions of `install-crossover-pro-6.0.0.sh': Operation not permitted
      jacatone@Dell:~/Desktop$ chmod +x install-crossover-pro-6.0.0.sh
      chmod: changing permissions of `install-crossover-pro-6.0.0.sh': Operation not permitted

jacatone@Dell:~/Desktop$ sudo chmod +x install-crossover-pro-6.0.0.sh
      Password:
      jacatone@Dell:~/Desktop$

I guess using sudo doesn't work either. What am I doing wrong here? Thanks.

Comment

"I guess using sudo doesn't work either"

You guess or you know . It looks like the sudo worked. You won't get feedback on the command. Do a ls -l on the directory and copy and paste the left part of the line that gives info on the script file(the part with the hyphens and rw such as -rw-r-- etc.)

Is this file actually in your Desktop directory? The error suggests yes, but I want to be sure. That is the directory you are working from in the info you gave.

Comment

opie is correct. sudo chmod +x install-crossover-pro-6.0.0.sh is correct, and you don't get feedback if all went well.

Comment

I did what you said Snowhog and didn't get any feedback, so I assume it's installed. How do I launch this program, though? I tried typing crossover in both Konsole and Run Command and got nothing.

Why wouldn't this program be available as a .deb file. What's the advantage of using a script file? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by jacatone
              I did what you said Snowhog and didn't get any feedback, so I assume it's installed.
              If all you did was the chmod +x install-crossover-pro-6.0.0.sh, then no, it isn't installed. This command made the install-crossover-pro-6.0.0.sh executable. Once that was done, you should then, in a console shell, in the directory where the install-crossover-pro-6.0.0.sh was saved, type:
              Code:
              install-crossover-pro-6.0.0.sh
              That will execute the install-crossover-pro-6.0.0.sh and should install the program.

Comment

Working...
              X