This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resolved - Can't seem to get wine to work, error msge

I have been trying to configure wine to no avail. It is the version from Wine HQ. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it. This is what i get:

rick@Penelope:~/tempinstalls$ wine iview410_setup.exe
    err:module:import_dll Library MFC42.DLL (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\rick\\tempinstalls\\iview410_setup.exe ") not found
    err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:\\home\\rick\\tempinstalls\\iview410_setup.exe " failed, status c0000135

...any ideas??

Re: Can't seem to get wine to work, error msge

Your question is a little confusing because it looks as if it is a question about installing wine. You are trying to install IrfanView under wine. There isn't any point in installing wine itself over and over again. It is important to understand that not all applications run flawlessly or even run at all under wine.

Do you have a copy of MFC42.dll in your /home/<username>/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32 directory? NOTE: wine's user directories are hidden in your home directory so you need to force konqueror-view menu-show hidden files.

If you have no MFC42.dll in that directory are you dual booting with windows? If so then look in your windows partition for the file in your windows system directory and make a copy of the file in the wine directory I mentioned above.

Once you get this far I will explain how to use winecfg to force the application to use the native dll.

Comment

I thought by posting the console print out it would be clear, but I guess not.

The version I am running (wine) is from wine HQ.

The necessary repositories are active in my resources list.

Yes i am trying to install irfanview in this particular instance, but get the same reply for other programs I am trying to install under/with wine.

temtinstalls is just the directory I use to store the program for installation when not on a CD. Has worked like a charm before.

No MFC42.dll found in "sys32"

this machine is a single OS, Feisty Fawn.

Can I get the file from my windows XP machine? (kids computer) copy and paste it to the aforementioned directory?

Edit:I believe the import command is the system trying to find a copy of the library, not a default as ssuch as I never seen that entry before. BTW I have only been at this for a little over 6 weeks, so be gentle

Comment

Resolved

I copied and pasted the file from my XP machine and all is well. Thanks for the help.

Comment

I wasn't trying to be offensive in my last post. I hope if you have any further questions you won't be put off asking them because of my response. I just meant that there might be people who could help who would not look at the thread because of the way you worded the subject line.

I'm glad you were able to solve the problem.

Comment

Opie,

Don't fret my friend you haven't offended me. Forums are weird things at times, no body language. I thought my post was quite clear at the time I posted it, but after examining the title, well... I guess I will strive to be a little more succinct in the future, in order to keep confusion to a minimum.

When I meant be gentle, I was referring to, don't talk too "geeky" keep it layman for the time being. Although, I do have a reasonable DOS background, I also basked in the luxury of P & P and GUI for many years. BTW, I doubt I'll ever run MS again, so as time goes by I'll be posting like a pro

Comment

Working...
            X