This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adept seems to "time-out"

I have just installed Kubuntu Feisty Fawn 7.04 and allowed all the "updates / upgrades" to happen.

This problem does not happen every time I run Adept.

When I startup the Adept Manager, via the menus, I am asked to provide the adim password. Password is entered and I wait... and wait... and wait... Eventually the "hour-glass" on the bottom toolbar disappears and I am left with a normal desktop. No Adept Manager. I then retry via the menus and bingo! I have access. This also happens with Automatix2 as well. (No. Automatix2 was not installed when it happened.)

The problem does not effect the running of the OS, but is more of an annoyance.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Regards

J
    Keep your eye on the ball, your shoulder to the wheel, your ear to the ground, your nose to the grindstone and your back against the wall....&nbsp; <br /><br />Now, try and work in that position!!

Re: Adept seems to &quot;time-out&quot;

It happens. Don't know why. And, yes, usually when you retry Adept it then prompts you for your password. I don't worry about it.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

That's fixable. Do this:

Open (with Super User privileges) the file /etc/sudoers:

Code:
      kdesu kate /etc/sudoers
      and carefully add ",timestamp_timeout=0" to the end of the "Defaults" line, so it looks like this:

Code:
      Defaults	!lecture,tty_tickets,!fqdn,timestamp_timeout=0
      Click "save", close kate, and after the next reboot, you should no longer experience the failure to open.

Comment

Cool. Just edited the file. Does this modification specifically affect Adept Manager, or does it also apply to other applications launched that require superuser password??

Comment

AFAIK, it is applicable to all KDE apps that require the Super User password to run.

Comment

Update - It appears that with this modification (which does fix the non-opening of the password prompt in Adept Manager) changes the time period that, from the CLI, one can access sudo without having to reenter your password. Meaning, that from the CLI, you are prompted each and every time you use sudo command. Previously, you had a 'window of time' within which you could execute another sudu command and not be asked for your password. Would modifying the timestamp_timeout=0 to a value greater than zero solve this?

Comment

Working...
            X