This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Printing permissions problems

I gave my wife my old T42 laptop with Feisty Kubuntu on it!, I was the initial logon account holder, I added an account for her but she cant add any new printers except when she goes into administrator mode in the KDE administration area! After she adds the printer as administrator & you exit back to user mode it does not show up is there some permission error I might be missing?

I would love to fix this for her as she is a new convert to Linux

TIA Cary
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Re: Printing permissions problems

You probably need to make sure the secondary groups she belongs to include the cups printing system.

Typically these groups would be lp and lpadmin. If you want her to only be able to print then you would add lp to her secondary groups. If you want her to be able to configure printers add lpadmin as a secondary group for her as well.

You can do this through kmenu -> system settings -> user management. When you modify her account you can choose the secondary groups she belongs to.

To confirm that lp is the proper group on your system I would open konqueror, change to the root directory and then do a search on cups. Look at the group name(NOT owner) in the file results. Many will be root but there should also be another name such as lp.

Comment

Working...
    X