This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thunderbird Upgrade

This morning [Wednesday, October 24] I received notification that Thunderbird had an upgrade available under Kubuntu Feisty Fawn, and I upgraded it with Adept. No problem.

Later on, after receiving some email to which I wanted to reply, I clicked on the Reply button but nothing happened. After trying it several times with no success, I tried the Write button: same response, NOTHING!

When I tried to see what version of Thunderbird it was, using Help/About I received the following popup:

XML Parsing Error: syntax error
    Line Number 1, Column 1:ter class="progressmeter-statusbar" id="statusbar-icon" mode="normal" value="0"/>

To sum up, I can Receive emails, but I cannot Reply or Write.

I'd like to go back to the previous version. How do I do that?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Re: Thunderbird Upgrade

You might try getting TBird from here:
    Firefox (latest), Thunderbird (latest): http://ubuntuzilla.wiki.sourceforge.net/
    Read the intro: I believe a fresh install through this site will not touch your data/settings, but check it out carefully.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thunderbird works just fine today, after I turned off my computer and turned it back on today. It probably had to do with my running Thunderbird while I did the upgrade. I should have rebooted Kubuntu then and there, and it probably would have worked.

Qqmike: I tried installing Thunderbird from ubuntuzilla.wike.sourceforge.net but it came up with a dependency error and wouldn't install. I didn't pursue it any further, but T-bird works now and I'm satisfied.

Comment

Install gdebi and use that to install deb packages. I don't know if it is in the feisty repos but you can try and have a look.

You can either use it directly with "open with" at download or right click on a .deb file and choose it from there.
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

decatur -- if ubuntuzilla comes up with a dependency error (as I believe I recall it doing to me the first time) write down the name(s) of missing package(s) and install using Adept or apt-get -- I recall it's minor and quick. But anyway, you're good to go for now, so what the heck.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
          X