This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

add/remove programs & adept manager

When I use either of these programs I get "There was an error commiting changes. Possibly there was a problem downloading some packages or the commit would break packages." it doesn't matter what i try to download. I would like to have a file manager, and can't find konqueror anywhere. >

Re: add/remove programs & adept manager

Try this, open Konsole and type the following command:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Press enter and run this code:

Code:
    sudo apt-get upgrade

See if that works, but if not, try the following command:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install -f
    If it tells you to use "apt-get autoremove" to uninstall several programs, as long as it doesn't want to uninstall your entire computer and you can temporarily do without those apps (you can re-install them), then give Konsole the following command:

Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    Answer yes when prompted if the list of programs to be uninstalled will not inhibit your use of the computer.

Then, run "sudo apt-get update" and "sudo apt-get upgrade" again.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Thanks, tried all your suggestions, I get this message ": Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)
      E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?"

Comment

If Adept is running, you have to close it before you can run the "apt-get" commands.
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Open a konsole and type:
          Code:
          ls -l /var/lib/dpkg
          There will be a file called lock. What file size is it (it should be zero).
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X