This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't change default browser

I have set my default browser as firefox by going to System Settings->Default Applications->Web Browser and entering "firefox". However, when I click on a hyperlink, it opens in Konqueror. I've tried using "Firefox" but that didn't work either.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Re: Can't change default browser

Konqueror > Settings > Konqueror Settings > File Associations > text > html.
    Highlight Firefox Web Browser > Move Up > Apply >OK.

Comment

use this
      Code:
      firefox -remote "openURL(%u,new-tab)"
      instead of just
      Code:
      firefox
      source: http://konversation.kde.org/wiki/Bro...ox_.26_Mozilla

Comment

buzzz and taisao,

I've tried your recommendations and they didn't work. I have no idea why. Everything still opens in Konqueror.

taisao,

I entered the code below in Konversation as recommended in the hyperlink you listed. I assume that's what you were recommending.

Originally posted by taisao
        use this
        Code:
        instead of just
        Code:
        firefox
        source: http://konversation.kde.org/wiki/Bro...ox_.26_Mozilla

Comment

did you follow the instruction on that page? from top to bottom?

you need to open kcontrol and set the default browser, here is a picture:

[img width=400 height=320]http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/3118/sr10ei3.jpg[/img]

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/3118/sr10ei3.jpg

Comment

Kcontrol doesn't show up in my K Menu, but Konservation does. I followed the procedure given for it, selected the "use custom Web browser" checkbox and entered

This is a cut and paste from Konservation.

I tried to send a screen capture, but I couldn't figure out how to do it. I got the screen capture with Ksnapshot but couldn't paste it into a pastebin. All I could get to paste was a hyperlink to the copy on my desktop.

Comment

to get kcontrol press key combination Alt+F2. Type kcontrol. Or open konsole (terminal) and type kcontrol.

you need to upload your picture to a image host server first, http://imageshack.us/ is one useable host.

once you have set firefox as the default browser you can uncheck the checkbox "use custom web browser" in konversation if you like.

Comment

Originally posted by taisao
                you need to upload your picture to a image host server first, http://imageshack.us/ is one useable host.
                Actually, you don't have to do this. Save your snapshot on your drive (note the location). When you are writing a reply (or making a new post) and you want to include an image, click on the Additional Options... link below the Message: window (what you are typing in). You will see Attach: and at the right, a folder image. Click on it and browse to the location that has the image you want to upload. Click it so that the location of it shows in the location box. When you click Post the file will be uploaded to the Forum and be included in your post. You must keep in mind, that the Forum limits the maximum size of the uploaded file (128k I think). So, if your image is larger in file size than that, it won't be accepted (you will be so informed). You'll have to edit the image (Gimp or your favorite image editor) and reduce the image size so that it is not larger than the limit set by the Forum.

If you want to upload your images to a separate server (as suggested), you will then be able to include images in you posts that are larger than this Forum allows. So the option is yours.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Can you give us more detail about what you are clicking on when you expect FF to open?

Is this an url saved to the desktop or what precisely are you clicking and where?

Comment

taisao,

Opened Kcontrol and followed instructions. Didn't work. Still get Konqueror as default browser. I've saved a screen shot of the Kcnotrol screen. Now let's see if I can give you the correct link to the image.

Hope that works. Maybe it did!

opie,

It's a url in a web forum. It is:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...100410#3100410

The url is in an e-mail from the forum.

Comment

You are missing the first quote mark ( " ).

Type in
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

If correcting your typing error in the default applications setting doesn't fix it try simply

Code:
                        firefox %u
                        If that doesn't work then give us the output of

Code:
                        update-alternatives --display x-www-browser

Comment

Snowhog,

I corrected the error but Knoqueror is still the default browser.

opie,

You didn't say where to enter the code you suggested, and I'm too ignorant to be sure, but entering it in the terminal made the most sense to me, so that's what I did. Here are the results:

tom@emachine:~$ firefox %u
                          X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 169
                          Major opcode: 145
                          Minor opcode: 3
                          Resource id: 0x0
                          Failed to open device
                          X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 169
                          Major opcode: 145
                          Minor opcode: 3
                          Resource id: 0x0
                          Failed to open device
                          tom@emachine:~$ update-alternatives --display x-www-browser
                          x-www-browser - status is auto.
                          link currently points to /usr/bin/konqueror
                          /usr/bin/konqueror - priority 100
                          slave x-www-browser.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/konqueror.1.gz
                          /usr/bin/firefox - priority 70
                          slave x-www-browser.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/firefox.1.gz
                          Current `best' version is /usr/bin/konqueror.
                          tom@emachine:~$

Did I do what you suggested? If so, what do you conclude from the output?

Thank you all!

Tom Strickland

Comment

Ok, Try running:

Code:
                            update-alternatives --config x-www-browser
                            and choose firefox as the default and then give us the new output of

Code:
                            update-alternatives --display x-www-browser
                            Give your links another try at this point.

Comment

opie,

That worked! The link opened in firefox.

Here's the terminal output:

tom@emachine:~$ update-alternatives --config x-www-browser

There are 2 alternatives which provide `x-www-browser'.

Selection Alternative
                              -----------------------------------------------
                              *+ 1 /usr/bin/konqueror
                              2 /usr/bin/firefox

Press enter to keep the default[*], or type selection number: 2
                              Using `/usr/bin/firefox' to provide `x-www-browser'.
                              update-alternatives: unable to make /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser.dpkg-tmp a symlink to /usr/bin/firefox: Permission denied
                              tom@emachine:~$ sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser
                              Password:

There are 2 alternatives which provide `x-www-browser'.

Selection Alternative
                              -----------------------------------------------
                              *+ 1 /usr/bin/konqueror
                              2 /usr/bin/firefox

Press enter to keep the default[*], or type selection number: 2
                              Using `/usr/bin/firefox' to provide `x-www-browser'.
                              tom@emachine:~$ update-alternatives --display x-www-browser
                              x-www-browser - status is manual.
                              link currently points to /usr/bin/firefox
                              /usr/bin/konqueror - priority 100
                              slave x-www-browser.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/konqueror.1.gz
                              /usr/bin/firefox - priority 70
                              slave x-www-browser.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/firefox.1.gz
                              Current `best' version is /usr/bin/konqueror.
                              tom@emachine:~$

I don't know what all this output means, but it looks like firefox has become the default browser.

Thank you very much. I'd never have been able to do this without you.

Tom Strickland

Comment

Working...
                              X