This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running bin files

As I understand Linux bin files are executable and one should be able to run it if in local directory type ./nameoffile.bin
    I cannot run single bin file. What is wrong? I have Kubuntu 7.10 and in 7.4. I experienced the same problem.

Please help me.
    Thanks in advance, Grega the Smart duck

Re: Running bin files

I think you have got a somewhat wrong notion going here -- I've been running Kubuntu for only a year now, so don't chisel what I say in granite -- I'm no guru by a long shot.

However, here's what is true, AFAIK:

- more than just .bin files can be executable. Matter of fact, I'm not sure there is any particular limit to the file format of a Linux file that can be executed. It sounds like maybe your are bringing the DOS ".exe" model of executable file format rules into Linux, where there is no such thing.

- In a year of running all kinds of Linux apps, the only reason to "run" a file as you are describing is for particular installation or configuration scripts, or if it is a command-line only package. For example to configure the VMWare Player, you have to run a file named /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl. Note that it doesn't end in ".bin", but it "runs". But, for CLI-only packages, you normally enter only the package name to run it, like the utility for Nvidia cards which is named "nvidia-settings". You don't ever have to go hunt down a .bin file, AFAIK.

I hope this is a little helpful.

Comment

Re: Running bin files

You should check that the file has been set to be executable in its permissions. Right-click the file, and go to Proprieties, then Permissions. Most times, these files are set to be NOT executable for safety/security reasons.

What are you attempting to run?

Comment

Working...
      X