This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xorg leaking CPU?

Hi there, randomly,like once a day or two my Xorg freezes or horribly slows down. Sometimes the machine is locked, sometimes I'm able to switch to tty1 and kill the xorg process (ctrl+alt+bkspc doesn't work while it freezes). In that case i can see that Xorg eats like 99% of my cpu. Any suggestions? My xorg config is right over here (just to save some space): http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3087247.0

Re: Xorg leaking CPU?

I, as well as many others, have been having the same problem for a while now; all I can say about it is, "Welcome to the club" :P

With me, it usually happens after I've been away from my computer for a while, although, it sometimes does it when I'm in the middle of doing something. I dunno what to tell you; I've found that if I log out whenever I'm going to leave my computer for any substantial period of time, it seems to work when I get back on it, only I have to log back in too

Ugh :P
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

I have never seen this.
      Could it be kde-related? I mostly use WindowMaker.

Comment

Originally posted by integr8e
        I, as well as many others, have been having the same problem for a while now; all I can say about it is, "Welcome to the club" :P

With me, it usually happens after I've been away from my computer for a while, although, it sometimes does it when I'm in the middle of doing something. I dunno what to tell you; I've found that if I log out whenever I'm going to leave my computer for any substantial period of time, it seems to work when I get back on it, only I have to log back in too

Ugh :P
        That's exactly the thing, ever happens to me while being away...sadly i usually don't log out to save my open stuff (could suspend, but can't get it working well yet -.-).. What KDE are U using? I'm on 3.5.7, maybe it wasn't leaking with 3.5.6, I'm not really sure now -.-

Comment

The "strigi-daemon" process ate up my CPU resources Gutsy in Tribe 5 -- I have not allowed it since then.

Comment

I'm on the 7.10rc, but had the problem in 7.04. Try this, open "System Settings->Advanced (tab on top)->System Services" and click the "Administrator Mode" button in the lower right. Scroll down the list and look for a daemon called "powernowd" (it throttles your CPU; it's good if you have a laptop, but not a desktop). If it's set to "Start at boot", right click it and choose "Toggle start during boot..." to turn it off. That may help; I'm trying some other things; I'll let you know if they work (like uninstalling Compiz).

Oh, and definitely uninstall Strigi as dibl pointed out^^^
            Asus G1S-X3:
            Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Well,strigi is not present here, powernowd turned off...however, strigi could hardly be the problematic thing - That eating process is Xorg itself :/

Comment

I know; Strigi - if installed - just contributes to the problem. With me, it is always either Xorg or Compiz (just Xorg now) that causes the problem. I didn't know about the powernowd daemon until after I had installed Gutsy and Compiz, and I just uninstalled Compiz yesterday. So, though I now have both powernowd disabled and Compiz uninstalled, I haven't had enough time to tell whether or not the problem's fixed.

Keep me (and any others) posted and I'll keep you posted.
                Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

how could it be xorg itself if only some users experience it?

Comment

I'm not sure, but I've been involved with other threads in which other Kubuntu users (both 32- and 64-bit) have experienced the same problem. I've left my computer running for a while with Konsole running the "top" command, and when I returned to it, my computer froze; looking at the highest CPU hogging resources during the freeze, Xorg was at the top running at 100%. I can't explain why, just that some, and not all, users experience the problem :P
                    Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Hmm. I use X quite heavily at times.
                      Firefox, tvtime, Openoffice etc. running often for hours.
                      I never see it.
                      But i avoid things like Beryl, Compiz and use wmaker as desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by coyotl
                        Hmm. I use X quite heavily at times.
                        Firefox, tvtime, Openoffice etc. running often for hours.
                        I never see it.
                        But i avoid things like Beryl, Compiz and use wmaker as desktop.
                        Well i can use it as heavily as i want,this happens just when i'm idle usually... No composite here too...

Comment

Alright, I've gone 3 days without a freeze; I do believe it was the powernowd daemon causing Xorg to flare up when I got on my computer and know Compiz was causing some issues too. Are you still having issues with your setup?
                          Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

I leave the machine idle a lot too, and use tvtime (dont have a TV)

powernowd got disabled just after install (I disable/uninstall anything i dont need)

Comment

That's exactly what I meant when I said:

I can't explain why, just that some, and not all, users experience the problem :P
                              Edit: Here's one of the other threads I was referring to
                              Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Working...
                              X