This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

krdc/rdesktop licence expire

I am getting a message when logging into a Windows Terminal Server session that "Your terminal services temporary client license will expire in x days."
    I am using Kubuntu 7.04.
    How can I bypass this?

Re: krdc/rdesktop licence expire

The correct answer:

Go and buy a license for your Terminal Server from Microsoft. You need to buy a license for each "seat", meaning computer that it's going to connect for the server. You can build 4-seats packs IIRC.

As far as I know there is only one exception. If your terminal server is Windows 2000 Server and the "client" computers are running Windows 2000 Prof, or Windows XP Prof (not the Home version), then the license is free (the terminal server will take care of it).

In any other case, the server will only let you connect for a limited amount of days.

The not-so-correct answer:

The burden of checking the license is on the client. And rdesktop is open source. So if you know how to compile a program, download its source and take a look to the license.c file. It's quite easy to hack.

Hope that it helps.

Javier.

Comment

That's the sad thing. I am running WinXP, connecting to a 2000 Terminal. However, I am running kubuntu feisty in a vmware player and using krdc.
      I noticed that in the .rdesktop folder ther is a file licence.emovm (my computer name in the virtual machine) i wonder if i change the name of the computer if i would get a new licence? Just deleting it didn't work, it created a new one with the same expiry.

Comment

Good point. Changing the computer name will make the server issue you a new license.

If you use rdesktop from the command line you can use the -n switch to make it use a different client name. This too will confuse the server and it will issue a new temporary license.

Both licenses will only last 90 days (on Windows 2000 Server at least).

But the correct solution is to buy a license.

Javier.

Comment

I have issue buying a licence since I am technically using XP...but hey, I only use the VM for personal preference, so I don't have to use XP.

Comment

Working...
          X