This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Icons on desktop

How can I get "My Computer" icon on my desktop.
    While searching web I found help for Trash icon.
    For Home folder I just created a "Link to Location".
    but I was not able to figure out anything abt My Computer icon.

Re: Icons on desktop

Which operating system are we talking about here

Comment

Fiesty Fawn.

I know MY computer might not be the right term, but u know what I'm talking about.

Comment

If you are referring to the disk drives on your computer (as in sda1, sda5, floppy, cdrom, etc.), then you may create a 'link to location' typing "/media" in the location field while creating location.
        There is also a "My Computer" icon if you want it for the link that you create
        Triple booting Kubuntu Intrepid with XP and Ubuntu Hardy <br />Intel Pentium DualCore 2 Ghz, 1 GB RAM Intel 945GM MoBo

Comment

Oh, the Window$ "vice"....

:P
          Beware the Almighty Command Line

Comment

Creating a link to "/media", is only going to display CD and DVD rom and any external media if mounted.

Where as I was also looking for the Hard disk to be in there.

I tried creating a link to hda in media folder, it didn't work.

Is it possible to become a root create a link to Hard disk in the media folder. If yes then what exactly that link should point to (to which file/folder)?

Comment

Originally posted by Rex
              Creating a link to "/media", is only going to display CD and DVD rom and any external media if mounted...
              What other drives do you have? I have my partitions (which are not used by linux as system disks) also mounted in the media folder. Then there's a linux partition itself, the root directory...
              To check what partitions are available and where (if) they are mounted, just type "mount" into console. If you find that some of your partitions aren't mounted, edit /etc/fstab/
              Originally posted by Rex
              Is it possible to become a root create a link to Hard disk in the media folder. If yes then what exactly that link should point to (to which file/folder)?
              It should be possible... Not sure if you can link to root folder, but creating symlinks in console is done by the "ln -s" command. (I think, am not at my PC right now )
              Migration status:<br />[DONE]Get GeForce2 MX200 working with 96xx drivers, get automount external ntfs volumes, fix resume from suspend<br />[pending]:find good BSPlayer replacement<br />If you know how to fix any of the pending problems, PM!

Comment

I got 40Gb HD which is entirely used by Kubuntu and all the partitions are mounted.

Most of you might have used Ubuntu.
                Ubuntu (Gnome in particular) provides a My Computer icon on desktop (not there by default in ubuntu).

I'm not too sure about what all is in there but as far as I remember, there you can see mounted hard drive along with the other media.

Isn't there anything like that in KDE.

it is not like I'm in desperate need of it, just for the shake of knowledge and it might also come handy some time.

Comment

rather than /media, which is the media folder, I think you want
                  media:/

For example try:

konqueror media:/

Comment

konqueror media:/
                    Yup this is what I was looking for but how can I get it on the desktop?

Comment

Maybe this:

Right click desktop and
                      Create New > Link to Application:

Choose proper name and icon

Application tab
                      Command: konqueror media:/

or
                      Command: konqueror webbrowsing media:/
                      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

It worked thanks to all.

Comment

Working...
                        X