This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie question-Importing FF bookmarks into Konqueror

I have a very large FF bookmarks.html file in /home/albert/.mozilla. I went to Bookmark Editor and invoked Import to import the bookmarks into Konq, choosing to put them into a separate folder so as not to loose my present bookmarks. When I looked in Kong, the new folder was there in Bookmarks and named /.mozilla, but it was empty. Does anyone know what might have gone wrong. and what could be done to get the FF bookmarks into Konq. Thanks.

Re: Newbie question-Importing FF bookmarks into Konqueror

I believe that you need to export your FF bookmark file first. Then you can import the file into Konqueror.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I do not have FF on kubuntu but on another computer. I copied the FF bookmarks file to DVD, then copied it to the appropriate subdirectory of .mozilla, where it presumably would be if I had FF on kubuntu. At any rate, the import function of Kong looked in this directory and seemed to have no trouble importing it into Konq, but the resulting .mozilla directory was empty.

Comment

Assuming you have the .html file on the DVD, follow the steps below:
        1. Start Konqueror
        2. Go to Bookmarks --> Edit bookmarks... This will open Bookmark Editor
        3. Go to File --> Import --> Import Mozilla Bookmarks
        4. In the dialogue box that pops up, locate the .html file on your dvd and click open
        5. It will ask you whether to create a new folder for the bookmarks. Select as per your preference.

With this all your Firefox bookmarks would be imported to Konqueror. Close the Bookmark Editor and check whether all the bookmarks have been imported properly in the Bookmarks tab of the konqueror

The above steps worked on my system and should work on everyone else's.

This is the first time I am answering to a query rather than asking one. So I hope I have explained well. Tell me if it worked
        Triple booting Kubuntu Intrepid with XP and Ubuntu Hardy <br />Intel Pentium DualCore 2 Ghz, 1 GB RAM Intel 945GM MoBo

Comment

Again the .mozilla folder was empty. When I clicked to import Konq immediately acted like it had finished import in a fraction of a second with no error messages, which would have been surprising given size of file. Size is probably yhe prob but one expects error messages. Can anyone suggest another work around?

Comment

As previously suggested, you need to perform an export bookmarks from within FF first. Then copy the resultant .html file to whatever (CD/DVD). Then, in Konqueror, perform the import bookmarks and point to your CD/DVD. Should be fine.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks so much Snowhog. Worked perfectly. Sorry I thought the preliminary export was unnecessary. One problem remains. In the sidepanel I used to have, among others, an icon for bookmarks. Now I get no bookmarks icon but, above the 'home folder' icon, I get two icons which look like folders but pop up nothing when clicked. I would like to get the sidebar bookmarks back if possible. Any suggestions?

Comment

Problem solved. I brought up a new version of Kong and sidebar works perfectly.

Comment

Working...
                X