Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kopete honors authorization despite being set to ignore it (ICQ/AIM)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kopete honors authorization despite being set to ignore it (ICQ/AIM)

Not sure how many people here use ICQ. I come over to Kopete from the Miranda IM, which doesn't give a c**p about authorization requirement - just add the user to your list and you can view status/send messages immediately - this leads to users (me) never requesting authorization from their contacts.

Now, on the subject:
    I've unchecked (in Configure>Accounts>ICQ>Modify>Account preferences>) the "Respect other contacts' wish to require authorization" setting, but my unauthorized contacts remain in the list with status "waiting for authorization". Is this:
    a) a bug, or
    b) intended behaviour?

Is there another setting/plugin which would allow me to ignore authorization? Alternatively, is there a client for Linux that does this? Clients I've tried seem to honor this.
    Migration status:<br />[DONE]Get GeForce2 MX200 working with 96xx drivers, get automount external ntfs volumes, fix resume from suspend<br />[pending]:find good BSPlayer replacement<br />If you know how to fix any of the pending problems, PM!

Re: Kopete honors authorization despite being set to ignore it (ICQ/AIM)

Adding Contacts
    To add a contact, either select File->Add Contact... or click the Add Contact button on the toolbar. This brings up the Add Contact Wizard.

The Add Contact Wizard creates a new Metacontact using one or more IM systems, by leading you through the following pages.
    • Welcome Page. Here you can choose whether you want to use the KDE Address Book for this contact. Storing IM information in the KDE Address Book will enable other KDE IM programs to share contact information with Kopete and in future KDE applications may use Kopete to send information via IM. If you prefer to keep your IM contacts separated, clear the checkbox here.
    • Choose KDE Address Book entry. By choosing an entry from your KDE Address Book, you can use its name as a Display Name in Kopete. You can also create a new entry here. This page doesn't show if you chose not to use the KDE Address Book.

• Select Display Name and Group. Here you can enter a Display Name (the name used for this person inside Kopete), and choose the groups they are a member of.
    • Select IM Accounts. Here you can choose which accounts you want to use to chat to the new contact. If you only have one IM account, you won't see this screen.
    • Account-specific Add Contact Pages. For each account, you'll get one page where you can enter the UIN, buddy name or E-mail address, depending on the IM system in use.
    • Finish Screen. All done. Except if the IM system requires authorisation (such as ICQ™) to add a contact to your list - in which case, you'll be prompted after the wizard exits.
    Would seem that ICQ™ requires authorization?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Kopete honors authorization despite being set to ignore it (ICQ/AIM)

Originally posted by Snowhog
      Adding Contacts
      Would seem that ICQ™ requires authorization?
      Uhhm, I'm not adding contacts?! I'm trying to make use of contacts I already have without going though the hassle of requesting authorization from each and every contact I have in the list. Looking at some old bug reports, it was actually reported as a bug back in 2005, so I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this behavior with the current version (0.12.4 in Feisty).

Yes, I know I "should" request authorization whenever I want to talk to anyone over ICQ, but that's not the question. Also, since Miranda IM exists and behaves this way, it means that the authorisation requirement is
      a) merely formal
      b) hackable
      Migration status:<br />[DONE]Get GeForce2 MX200 working with 96xx drivers, get automount external ntfs volumes, fix resume from suspend<br />[pending]:find good BSPlayer replacement<br />If you know how to fix any of the pending problems, PM!

Comment

Working...
      X