Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

too complicated to give a summary in a title bar.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

too complicated to give a summary in a title bar.

So, first there was Win XP on an 80 gig Western Digital HDD. Then there came attempted install of Kubuntu. Partitioning was evidently impossible, so Kubuntu was installed on a 40 gig Maxtor HDD. It worked great, but I'm still not proficient enough to get Linux's full functionality. So I decided to put in the WD HDD as a slave. Upon booting to configure grub, my Maxtor HDD said it had a faulty file system. Nothing could be done. May it rest in peace. So then, the WD was still a slave to the faulty Maxtor, I attempted to install kubuntu on it, and this time for whatever reason, It worked. I booted, GRUB loaded, and I was happy. I removed the Maxtor to have it wiped and put as a permanent mount point in the Linux partition. I then put in an old WD drive, which was empty. It booted straight to XP. Then I removed that. It still just booted straight into Win XP. No GRUB dialog box. (oh, this may be inconsequential, but even with the new install of kubuntu, I cannot boot to the 16 kernel. I have to use the 15. But it runs fine so I don't really care.) Anyway, I put the Maxtor back in, this time as a slave, and it goes to GRUB. I booted to Kubuntu and temporarily mounted /dev/hdb1 in /mnt, and checked its /boot/grub/menu.lst. There was no listing for Win XP. However, In the new install, there was an entry for XP. So it ,ust be running GRUB from the NEW install, but for some reason, it won't run GRUB without the OLD install in the system. Not just any old second HDD, the old WD I put in after removing the Maxtor did nothin, so what's up? Please help!

Re: too complicated to give a summary in a title bar.

Amendment: I just now managed to boot into the 16 kernel with the new installation. All other problems remain.

Comment

Heh heh heh -- having some fun, huh?

Well, it's not entirely clear what it is you are hoping to accomplish with all this hardware-swapping and OS installing, but let's suppose you'd like to have a 2-hard drive system, with Linux on the 40GB Maxtor and Win XP on the 80GB WD, and let's further assume that the 40GB drive isn't actually broken or something. And finally, let's assume that before starting this adventure you backed up all your important data, so there's no data at risk from this point forward.

OK, are they both IDE drives? Is your CD ROM an IDE device? Do you have 2 separate IDE channels to use for this setup? I'd recommend setting the jumper on both hard drives to the "cs" (cable select) position, and then putting both of them on the same cable, and the CD ROM drive on the other bus/cable.

Next, you've got to set them in BIOS appropriately. I'd say make the 80GB drive with Windows the "master" and the 40GB drive the "slave", on that IDE channel. On the other channel, the CD ROM drive can be the "master".

OK, now if you make this far, I'd take the Win XP CD, and boot it into "Recovery" mode, and then bring up the command line prompt and enter "FDISK". Use that to delete all partitions and labels and file format types from both hard drives, so they are just 2 empty drives ready to have something installed.

Then, go ahead and install Windows on the 80 GB drive. Do not format or touch the "D:" drive that will be for Kubuntu -- there's no need for Windows to know anything about it. If you are interested in having a shared data partition, you might want to make a separate NTFS formatted partition on the 80GB drive, and leave that for "Data" that can be accessed from either Windows or Kubuntu.

Finally, when your 3-hour Win XP installation is finished up, you need to use a partitioner to partition the 40GB drive for Linux. I personally prefer to make a GParted Live CD, by downloading the ISO from here: http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=173828

Use GParted to view the 40GB drive, and make 3 partitions in the unallocated space (which is all of it), as follows:

6 GB (this will be for "/")
      0.5 GB (this will be for "swap")
      the rest of it (this will be for "/home")

Now shut down GParted using the "exit" button, and boot the Kubuntu Alternate Install CD. Follow the instructions, use "manual" for partitioning, set the mount points as shown above for the 3 partitions on the 40GB drive. Don't bother attempting to mount any of the partitions on the big drive at this point -- better to do that later after ntfs-3g is installed.

At the end of the Kubuntu installation process, when it asks if you want Grub placed in the MBR of (hd0), you simple accept the default "yes" and you will be done, and when you reboot, your boot menu will give you the choice of booting Win XP or Kubuntu.

Good luck -- don't drop those disk drives!

Comment

Guess I'll try that. I have no so called "important" fiels anyway.

Comment

The sequence is important:

1. Drives set right in BIOS
          2. Windows first
          3. Kubuntu last.

Comment

does it matter that I DO have Kubuntu installed on the 80G drive, a working version, but for some reason it won't run GRUB without the faulty 40G dirve?

Comment

Originally posted by Darby12611
              does it matter that I DO have Kubuntu installed on the 80G drive
              YES, apparently. :P

Here's the key -- Windows on drive #1 (hd0) and Linux on drive #2 (hd1). If you need to change them in BIOS to make them ordered that that way, then no problem.

Then install Windows first (which will write the MBR on hd0) and Kubuntu second (which will accept the Windows MBR as the right place to set Grub).

Comment

Working...
              X