This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adept Update Problems

This one has me flummoxed...my Adept notifier indicated that I had a package to update three days ago, rdiff-backup. It wouldn't install because it either "couldn't download or broke dependencies". I waited a few days and when there were three updates available, I ran it again...same result. Today there are 17 update...guess what happens?

I watched the Details in my update window and it seems to choke on libpq5 and speedcrunch. I went into the console tried to purge them, but that fails too. It says that libpq5 is "missing the last line". Since I can't remove or purge it, how do I fix this, or is this just a red herring and something else is borqed?

Re: Adept Update Problems

I just ran updates today on a Feisty Kubuntu system that hadn't been updated in a month, and there was quite a lot, but it finished with no problems. So, I'd say you should start trying to clear it by trying the following series of commands:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoclean
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install
    That may fix it -- if not, you'll have to start hunting down the particular packages that are a problem.

p.s. the bowtie is beautiful!

Comment

Thanks for the try, but no dice...doing the inputs gives me curious results, since Adept sez I now have 58 updates waiting.

apt-get update shows that there are 58 waiting

apt-get upgrade gives me:

The following packages will be upgraded:
      compiz compiz-core compiz-fusion-plugins-extra compiz-fusion-plugins-main
      compiz-fusion-plugins-unsupported compiz-kde compiz-plugins
      compizconfig-settings-manager emerald imagemagick kappfinder kate kcontrol
      kdebase kdebase-bin kdebase-data kdebase-kio-plugins kdepasswd kdeprint
      kdesktop kdm kfind khelpcenter kicker klipper kmenuedit konqueror
      konqueror-nsplugins konsole kpager kpersonalizer ksmserver ksplash ksysguard
      ksysguardd ktip kwin libdecoration0 libemeraldengine0 libkonq4 libmagick9
      libmysqlclient15off libsndfile1 mysql-common openoffice.org-calc
      openoffice.org-common openoffice.org-core openoffice.org-draw
      openoffice.org-impress openoffice.org-java-common openoffice.org-kde
      openoffice.org-math openoffice.org-style-crystal openoffice.org-style-human
      openoffice.org-writer python-uno rdiff-backup ttf-opensymbol
      58 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
      Need to get 0B/117MB of archives.
      After unpacking 250kB of additional disk space will be used.
      Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
      Extracting templates from packages: 100%
      Preconfiguring packages ...
      (Reading database ... dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/openoffice.org-style-crystal_2.2.0-1ubuntu5_all.deb (--unpack):
      files list file for package `libpq5' is missing final newline
      Errors were encountered while processing:
      /var/cache/apt/archives/openoffice.org-style-crystal_2.2.0-1ubuntu5_all.deb
      Processing was halted because there were too many errors.
      E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

How to I trouble shoot this hog?

PS...nice hat, too

Comment

Try sudo apt-get clean followed by sudo apt-get update. apt-get clean removes all retrieved package files from the local respository. See if this doesn't help.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

search for and remove the offending package in synaptic or adept

Comment

Thanks for the advice, Gents...did the clean, followed by update...showed that there was nothing to update...dunno if that's success or not. I'll try again tomorrow.

As far as finding the offending package and removing it, that's kinda how I got started on this long, pointless saga. One update wouldn't execute...then three. At that point I started tracking what was failing. When I tried to purge those packages, the system told me it couldn't. Then there were six updates available and it was pointing to different packages that still wouldn't allow me to remove them...wheels within wheels. I'm guessing that there's one thing that's set wrong that's causing the stackup, but I just don't know how to trouble shoot it other than looking at the failure details after Adept croaks.

Guess that's why they call it a hobby...

Comment

Originally posted by Zimm the Elder

Guess that's why they call it a hobby...
              I like your attitude, Zimm, along with your bow-tie!

Comment

OK, boys and girls...here's my number one suspect...attached is the DNA...rubber gloves are suggested.

Libpq5 seems to have a "final new line" missing, according to the error message. You can't remove libpq5 (at least I can't) thru most of the means one would commonly try...remove, purge, chicken blood, the little known "geddouddahere" command. Harder to get rid of than an unemployed brother-in-law.

I, unworthy as I am, await enlightenment...
                Attached Files

Comment

Eckkkkkkkk! I feel dirty just looking at it! :P

Zimm, I have no magic -- but I'm thinking of a sledgehammer. How would you feel about removing, for a moment, the entire Open Office suite? I see your little pestilence is some kind of a "style" associated with OO. I assume if OO goes away, so does Mr. Trouble.

If the bad boy goes away with OO, as confirmed by testing with dpkg, then you can always attempt a re-installation of OO, without any suspicious "styles".

Whaddaya think? 8)

Comment

Just a thought but maybe:

Code:
                    sudo apt-get remove openoffice.org-style-crystal_2.2.0-1ubuntu5_all.deb
                    ?
                    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                    4 GB Ram
                    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Right!

thats what i meant by removing the offending package.

you can purge it with synaptic though --a far better pakage manager than adept btw

synaptic, firefox, gimp at least should be included in kubuntu even though it is kde based

Comment

Originally posted by Zimm the Elder
                        Libpq5 seems to have a "final new line" missing, according to the error message.
                        "final new line" missing means a LF/CR isn't present where it is expected (the programmer of the file forgot to hit enter on the last line of the code!) However, that said, a search of my system for Libpq5 (sudo find -name Libpq5) results in no match. Searching on libpq5 however, does. But it is a directory, not a file. The README in this directory, begins:
                        This directory contains the source code distribution of the PostgreSQL
                        database management system.
                        Searching Adept Manager for postgresql (unchecking the not installed box) results in only one installed package: libpq5

The listed package requirements are:
                        libc6 >= 2.5-0ubuntu1
                        libcomerr2 >= 1.33-3
                        libkrb53 >= 1.4.2
                        libssl0 >= 0.9.8c-1

I'd check whether your system reflects this. If not, you could always try reinstalling the package via:
                        Code:
                        sudo apt-get install libpq5
                        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I have this installed and it makes no problems..
                          Amarok depends on it though and I want that.

Reinstall, or worst case: remove with dependecies and reinstall.

Comment

Well...lots of good advice...unfortunately none of it worked, all for the same reason...missing line in libpq5. You can't uninstall it using 1)adapt package manager 2)synaptic package manager, 3) aptitude purge or remove...all get stepped on by speedcrunch, which btw you can't remove because of the libpq5 line issue. Anyone ever read Catch-22?

I even tried the "Mark for reinstallation" in Synaptic...same story. I think it's hammer time.

Comment

I meant remove libpq5 itself along with dependencies.
                              Wasnt that much on my system, you can just reinstalll the lot..

Comment

Working...
                              X