This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

apt-get not opening in GUI or console

I have researched this problem in the forum and I have not found a solved thread so I am going to put this one out there.
    The closest to my problem is: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...89774#msg89774

If I click on the package update icon, apt-get in the menu or apt-get in the console I am unable to use it.
    this is the error I get from the update manager and adept manager:

The APT Database could not be opened! This may be caused by incorrect APT configuration or some similar problem. Try running apt-setup and apt-get update in terminal and see if it helps to resolve the problem.

This is the error that i get from apt-get:

E: Type 'http://www.libsdl.org/cgi/viewvc.cgi/trunk/SDL_net/' is not known on line 44 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list

SDL_net WAS that last thing that I looked up in apt manager to install but it was not found.

I see that there is an error on line 44 of the file. How do I remove it and start new?

Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more.<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; Nikola Tesla

Re: apt-get not opening in GUI or console

Code:
    kdesu kwrite /etc/apt/sources.list
    Remove, or comment out the offending line, save the file, exit kwrite and then try

Code:
     sudo apt-get update

Comment

$ kdesu kwrite /etc/apt/sources.list
      gives the following:

X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 169
      Major opcode: 147
      Minor opcode: 3
      Resource id: 0x0
      Failed to open device
      X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 169
      Major opcode: 147
      Minor opcode: 3
      Resource id: 0x0
      Failed to open device

I can open it and edit it in Kwrite but I do not know how to give my self permission to save it.
      Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more.<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; Nikola Tesla

Comment

Are you getting an error if you try to save the file as you normally would with file->save? The reason you are running kwrite with kdesu(kde superuser) is to run it with superuser privileges so you can save the file out.

When you are asked for password you should give it your normal user login password just as you would with sudo.

Comment

SORRY!!! I must have missed typed something
          Thanks, that bit of code will come in real handy in the future.
          I love Kubuntu! I decided the only way that I am going to really learn this OS is to go all out and forget the dual boot B.S. and I have no regrets after three months now.
          Thanks again

Comment

Working...
          X