X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No video in Kaffeine

Hi!
    I was able to play mpeg and wmv and other video formats earlier... However, recently I installed the 'intel' graphics driver replacing the existing 'i810' driver. After this, I am not able to view any video formats. On clicking any of the media files, Kaffeine starts but all that comes is audio and blank (blue) screen.
    While installing 'intel' driver, 'i810' automatically was removed by Adept. I changed from 'i810' to 'intel' because I was not able to set the screen resolutions properly in 'i810' and I read somewhere in the forums that installing 'intel' driver would solve the problem. Well, it did solve the resolution problem, but created this new one.
    Is any tweaking needed to get videos playing on 'intel' driver?

I hope the driver is the culprit as I did nothing else to change the system
    Triple booting Kubuntu Intrepid with XP and Ubuntu Hardy <br />Intel Pentium DualCore 2 Ghz, 1 GB RAM Intel 945GM MoBo

Re: No video in Kaffeine

Have I put enough information or do I need to give more input in the query?
    Triple booting Kubuntu Intrepid with XP and Ubuntu Hardy <br />Intel Pentium DualCore 2 Ghz, 1 GB RAM Intel 945GM MoBo

Comment

Is the video problem only when running video fullscreen or is it a problem all the time?

When you had the 810 driver installed did you install and play around with the 915resolution tool for your resolution problem?

Comment

Originally posted by opie
        Is the video problem only when running video fullscreen or is it a problem all the time?
        the video problem is at all the times... not just in full screen.

Originally posted by opie
        When you had the 810 driver installed did you install and play around with the 915resolution tool for your resolution problem?
        No I had not tried 915resolution tool. Though I had read about it in ubuntu forums, I found it a little too tricky and instead opted for a new driver (intel) installation.

Comment

You could:

Check logs

X Window System server logs are in the /var/log/Xorg.0.log .If you have problems with display, keyboard, mouse...

Just looking errors:
          Code:
          :~$ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep "(EE)"
          Just looking warnings:
          Code:
          :~$ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep "(WW)"
          Also K > System > System Logs Viewer (KSystemLog)

More
          LinuxLogFiles
          https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LinuxLogFiles

Sometimes it is xorg settings:

Topic: SOLVED: DVDs in Kaffeine - I have audio but no video
          http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3082585.0

From Xine - faq:
          The xine engine FAQ
          http://xinehq.de/index.php/faq
          I only see a blue (or green or black) video image most of the time.

You are either watching a very boring video (just kidding) or you are suffering from a bug in the Xorg 6.7 implementation of X11.

The workaround is to add the line

Option "XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps"

in the Device section of your X server configuration (usually /etc/X11/xorg.conf or /etc/X11/XF86Config).
          Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
          1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
          2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131
            From Xine - faq:
            The xine engine FAQ
            http://xinehq.de/index.php/faq
            I only see a blue (or green or black) video image most of the time.

You are either watching a very boring video (just kidding) or you are suffering from a bug in the Xorg 6.7 implementation of X11.

The workaround is to add the line

Option "XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps"

in the Device section of your X server configuration (usually /etc/X11/xorg.conf or /etc/X11/XF86Config).
            This worked....
            Checked the error logs you mentioned, but it all souned greek to me
            One thing I noticed though, is that when I give the command "xvinfo" in the terminal, one line mentions this:
            "maximum XvImage size: 1024 x 1088"
            Doesn't matter much as the videos are playing fine now.

Thanks both. 8)

One thing I would like to ask though... How do you guys find resources this fast? I mean even I tried searching the forums as well as googled before putting this question but couldn't locate these things. Is it that you already knew about the issue or are you typing keywords different from what I am putting in search engines?

Comment

Working...
            X