X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: su password "not"

Originally posted by dibl
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Well, it sounds like, for reasons unknown, you are down to 2 choices.

1. Reinstall (and pay close attention to that new password!).

2. Make a little research project out of the sudoers file and visudo, the special-purpose editor that is used to edit it. But I'm not sure you can use visudo if you don't have a valid password to start with (that's why it's a research project...) :P

This link may or may not help -- Mr. Google found it for me: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=14366

I was afraind of that... well it's not the end of the world...

I don't have to worry about remembering the stinking thing, I only have to watch the inital set up...

But the damn thing was working to start with - once, and then kicked me out... Oh well, I needed something to do anyway...

Thanks anyway, guys.
    Chuck
    *****<br />&quot;I not only use all the brains that I have, but all that I can borrow.&quot;<br /><br />~ Woodrow Wilson

Comment

Re: su password &quot;not&quot;

Maybe check out this thread. (click the "this" link)
      Asus G1S-X3:
      Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Originally posted by CWBillow

Oh well, I needed something to do anyway...
        Hey Chuck, if you're going to reinstall, you might want to just make a Gutsy Beta CD (Alternate Install) and go that way. It's pretty darned stable on my rig, and it's only 2 weeks until they release it anyway, so if you keep up with the daily updates, you'll have the new version the same time they release it. Just a thought. I know of one wireless driver that is definitely better in Gutsy "out of the box", and I can't find anything that's worse than Feisty.

Comment

I agree, good idea (Gutsy's running pretty stable on my system too )
          Asus G1S-X3:
          Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Is it possible to upgrade through apt-get? Like change "feisty" to "gutsy" in my sources.list?

I'm kind of running out of games to play and things to do, and I might as well occupy myself somehow.
            For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
              Is it possible to upgrade through apt-get? Like change "feisty" to "gutsy" in my sources.list?

I'm kind of running out of games to play and things to do, and I might as well occupy myself somehow.
              I was wandering about this myself. I thought about changing the source.list and then do a dist-upgrade. Thoughts.

eriefisher
              ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

On this thread: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3086928.0

They say you can get success from Feisty by doing
                Code:
                kdesu "adept_manager --dist-upgrade-devel"
                I'm a hardhead and use the Alternate Install CD. I may be wasting time, but it works.

SheeEttin, did you ever get that SATA CD ROM drive to boot from a CD?

Comment

I followed the instructions from that link when I upgraded, and they worked well.
                  Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

SheeEttin, did you ever get that SATA CD ROM drive to boot from a CD?
                    No, I didn't. I may end up taking it into my computer class at school and finding a computer that'll take SATA drives and try it there. (Or maybe I'll get a different motherboard--this is a cheap one from a no-name Taiwanese company.)

Anyway, thanks for the link. I'll see how it goes tomorrow (I don't want to try it at 9:30 at night).
                    For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by CWBillow

Oh well, I needed something to do anyway...
                      dibl:

Ok, I'll bite... I just (finally) got my install sorta stable, so why not bull ahead?!

Where for the new beta?

Chuck

Hey Chuck, if you're going to reinstall, you might want to just make a Gutsy Beta CD (Alternate Install) and go that way. It's pretty darned stable on my rig, and it's only 2 weeks until they release it anyway, so if you keep up with the daily updates, you'll have the new version the same time they release it. Just a thought. I know of one wireless driver that is definitely better in Gutsy "out of the box", and I can't find anything that's worse than Feisty.
                      *****<br />&quot;I not only use all the brains that I have, but all that I can borrow.&quot;<br /><br />~ Woodrow Wilson

Comment

You shouldn't need to reinstall for sudo problems.

Booting to recovery mode should get you to root without a password unless you went and enabled the root password.
                        If you haven't enabled a root password then there is no "su password" problem since there is no root enabled by default. We have to figure out the failure with sudo.

You didn't enable root by "sudo passwd root" did you? DON'T do that now, by the way, I'm just asking.

-----

If you do something like

sudo cat /etc/sudoers

and enter your normal user password (you shouldn't be entering a root password) what error messages are you getting?

Also if you

cat /etc/group | grep root

are you getting the result
                        root:0:

Also if you

cat /etc/group | grep ^admin

your normal user name should be part of the admin group.
                        In other words if your normal user name was "myname"you should see
                        admin:somenumber:myname

Is your user name part of the admin group as I just described?

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
                          Kubuntu Gutsy up and running, all problems solved. Wasn't anything I hadn't done before.

Now if I could only figure out how to apply antialiasing to monospace fonts (specifically DejaVu Sans Mono), it'd be perfect.
                          For external use only.

Comment

Cool!

What was the secret on that SATA CD/DVD drive?

Comment

[quote athor=dibl link=topic=3087047.msg91367#msg91367 date=1191371345]Cool!

What was the secret on that SATA CD/DVD drive?[/quote]

Oh, I didn't get it working. I just upgraded through Adept and whatever Adept invokes.

I don't think I will get it working any time soon--the only reason I have to boot from CD is to repartition the hard drive in put in a small Windows partition (for testing, gaming, etc.). Not a top priority.
                              For external use only.

Comment

Working...
                              X