This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad refresh rate when KDE starts

Re-posting in the correct forum (I hope... )

Hi,

I have the following problem: while my login screen works correctly at 1024x768_85 (which btw is the only possible resolution in xorg.conf), when I start KDE it switches unexpectedly to an exotic refresh rate of 86.4 (or something similar) without any reason.... I need to use control+ to bring it back to 85Hz.

When I exit KDE it switches back to 1024x768 @85Hz.

With gnome the problem does not exist.

Any ideas?

Thanks, kosmepe

Re: Bad refresh rate when KDE starts

Probably too simple, but did you just check under K-Menu -> System Settings -> Monitors & Displays? The refresh rate can be changed here. If you already did this, does it always switch back to the esoteric resolution?

Comment

Hi,

The refresh rate appearing in the "Monitors & Displays" is not the correct one (it shows 50, 51, 52 etc). I made all possible tests but it didn't correct the problem.

Yes it always switches to the strange resolution.

Do you have any idea where does KDE physically save its settings?

Comment

The display configuration is saved in /home/<user>/.kde/share/config/displayconfigrc -- there is an entry for the refresh rate in this text file. .kde is hidden, so you may need to turn on the display of hidden files. I'm way out of my league here, but maybe this will at least give you a lead.

This may be more of a X problem, though.

Comment

I struggled with the same issue recently; the problem is that 1024x768@85 is probably not a default setting in xorg's configuration, as such, every time you reboot, it resets the resolution to the closest setting it has to your desired resolution.

Try this, go to the hardware section where you can change the resolution in System Settings (I'm using M$ at the moment and cannot remember the name of the subsection, sorry). When there, see if the monitor listed is labeled as the monitor your using or if it is called something like "generic monitor"; if it's not the one your using, click the choose monitor tab (I believe that's what it is called), and choose the company and make of your model. Restart X and go back into System Settings; when there, check and see if your needed resolution is listed, if not, the easiest thing for you to do then would be to choose a different resolution.

Edit: Also, if you have not installed the proper driver for your video card, doing so may make a difference. If you have not, and have either an Nvidia or ATI card, click this link, download and install the .deb version of Envy (just download it and left-click the package in Konqueror), run the program and tell it to install which ever driver you need.

If you don't have either of those cards, in the same hardware section where you can choose the model of your monitor, there is an option to choose your video card; click the tab and choose the detect video card button and it should do it automatically for you.

Try these and let us know what happens
          Asus G1S-X3:
          Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Working...
          X