This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running an OS/2 Warp Game in Kubuntu

I know I'm asking for a miracle, but I would love to run an old OS/2 Warp game called, Trials of Battle , under Kubuntu without having to install Warp on another partition. The company that sold the program doesn't anymore and I can't locate the original author. The only solutions I can think of are as follows:

1. A utility program like Wine for Windoze applications, that allows OS/2 applications to run under Kubuntu.

2. There's a way to run a virtual OS/2 machine under Kubuntu.

3. There's a game developer who would love to write a port for this game from OS/2 to Linux.

Mark
    "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Re: Running an OS/2 Warp Game in Kubuntu

Originally posted by mhumm2

2. There's a way to run a virtual OS/2 machine under Kubuntu.
    Wow -- I remember OS/2 Warp! I owned it -- I wonder if I still have it? I think it was on a pile of floppy diskettes, wasn't it -- like 18 of them?

I'll bet you could install the free VMWare Player, and then if you have a floppy drive and can get it functional in a VMWare Player Virtual machine, you could install OS/2 Warp and your game. No guarantees, but I've been impressed with how well it runs my cranky MS Virtual FoxPro database application in a Win XP virtual machine. That's my two cents' worth for you.

p.s. I'd download and install the Ver. 2.0.1 player from VMWare -- I think it's considerably advanced over the Ver. 1.whatever in the repos.

Comment

Dibl;

Thanks for the quick response. Although I have the Warp install CDs, I don't know if I remember how to install it. Have you ever played TOB? IMHO, it was the best Warp game ever written. Clean, stable, challenging, joystick controlled and it even had a network interface to play with others over the internet.

I'll checkout VMWare. Thanks again.

Mark
      "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Comment

No, I had OS/2 Warp on an old 486/33 that was kind of straining at the seams, in the early 1990s. It was the first PC that I used to browse the web -- what a mind-blowing experience that was! But once Windows 95 got semi-stable, I bought a new Gateway Pentium with Win 95 on it, and that was the end of OS/2 for me. But I remember it fondly -- I instantly recognized that the Win 95 look and feel was an attempted knock-off of the OS/2 desktop (but not done as elegantly, of course). But I never played the game.

Comment

Dibl;

That's ashame, but interesting because most people went from Windoze to Warp. It was a lot more stable and still has the honor of the most efficient TCP/IP engine I know.

Anyway, thanks again and let me know if you have any other ideas.

Mark

Comment

Apparently, VMWare doesn't officially support OS/2, but VirtualBox does (and it's free!).

So, I'd download that and try it.
            For external use only.

Comment

Working...
            X