This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amarok Woes

I have over 7,000 songs loaded into my collection. I have it set on Random with a favor to higher ranking.

Often, I don't feel like listening to the song that comes up so I press Win+B to go to the next song. Sometimes it will go ahead and play a new song and if I don't like that one I push Win+B again. If I do this within 10-15 seconds it will stop the playback for a couple seconds and then proceed to the next song. This is IF it doesn't crash to which happens often. If it crashes, it won't start back up unless I restart (I have only tried to start Amarok up twice before restarting).

So I loaded a my Smart Playlist (Top Rated) that holds my top rated which holds a little over 200 tracks. I play it just like above and it still takes the same amount of time to forward songs but it doesn't crash as often, but still will.

I've seen many topics about Amarok crashing so stability must be a big issue. Has anyone found the problem yet? Could it be the random song picker?

Should I move to a new music management program? If so, what others support iPod?

Re: Amarok Woes

Originally posted by msimoens
    I have over 7,000 songs loaded into my collection. I have it set on Random with a favor to higher ranking.

Often, I don't feel like listening to the song that comes up so I press Win+B to go to the next song. Sometimes it will go ahead and play a new song and if I don't like that one I push Win+B again. If I do this within 10-15 seconds it will stop the playback for a couple seconds and then proceed to the next song. This is IF it doesn't crash to which happens often. If it crashes, it won't start back up unless I restart (I have only tried to start Amarok up twice before restarting).
    So you have to retart your computer? If thats the case, I've had that problem, sometimes when Amarok crashes, amarok-app is still running, and it won't start again unless you drop to a shell and do sudo killall amarok-app.

So I loaded a my Smart Playlist (Top Rated) that holds my top rated which holds a little over 200 tracks. I play it just like above and it still takes the same amount of time to forward songs but it doesn't crash as often, but still will.

I've seen many topics about Amarok crashing so stability must be a big issue. Has anyone found the problem yet? Could it be the random song picker?
    what database backend are you using? I have about 70-80 gigs of music, and i don't have any problems with Amarok, I've been using it since edgy. I'm using MySQL, once i changed it to the default sqlite, because i thought it might go faster, but it was very, very slow.

Should I move to a new music management program? If so, what others support iPod?
    There are alot of options, i couldn't tell you off the top of my head. But Amarok handles mp3 players the best.

Comment

Originally posted by hangthedj
      If thats the case, I've had that problem, sometimes when Amarok crashes, amarok-app is still running, and it won't start again unless you drop to a shell and do sudo killall amarok-app.
      Another way is to press crl-esc which brings up a list of all the running processes and then kill the relevant one (amarokapp). This is just a little easier sometimes as you don't need to know the exact name of the process. Works for all instances where an app says it can't open as it is already running.

Comment

That is a much friendlier way to do it.

For some reason AmaroK won't tell you its still running, but if it won't start, and just hangs that means its running 'amarok-app'.

Comment

I'm also experiencing the a similar problem with amarok refusing to play my music but will play very well once i go to console and kill the amarok-app. The thing is i have just noted this in the last 4-5 days. Is this a known bug and is there a solution available.

Comment

Working...
          X