This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replace Konqueror with Dolphin

Hi all, for some reason I do not like Konqueror, so I installed Dolphin from standard Kubuntu's repositories. It works fine except the right click context menu. For example, when i right clicked a file and tell it to open with GIMP, nothing will happen. Another thing is in Konqueror, there are many items in the right click menu, such as encrypt a file, compress ... etc. Is there a way i can export the menu into Dolphin?
    Thanks

Re: replace Konqueror with Dolphin

I'm not sure what to tell you about the Gimp, but the options found in the right-click menu in Konqueror seem to be in a column on the right-hand side of Dolphin. Just click the file you want to work with and choose one of the options from the pane

Edit: Actually, thinking about the Gimp, some features such as opening images in the Gimp don't seem to work if your running the file manager as root, you have to run it as user in order to get various functionalities.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

um... i can't find anything on the right hand side and i am running as normal user

Comment

What Dolphin version are you running? If you are using Feisty, it may be an older version; click the 'Help' menu and choose 'About Dolphin'. I'm currently running the Gutsy beta; my version is 0.9.2.

Note: I didn't use Dolphin in Feisty; in Gutsy it's the default file browser.
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

yup, you're right, mine is an older version. Any idea how to get the updated one.

Comment

Do like me a google for linux dolphin file manager and you'll eventually, find:
            https://marrat.homelinux.org/D3lphin

In it is a link to an Ubuntu 7.04 version.

Comment

Yes I do , but before you go through all the trouble of downloading and installing, open Dolphin and click the 'View' menu; see if you have the option to add a left and right sidebar. If so, the right sidebar should be the one with the extra options.

If you don't have the sidebar and/or you just want the new version (and your computer is 32bit in architecture), choose the link below (if it's 64bit, choose the next one):

https://marrat.homelinux.org/D3lphin...9.2-1_i386.deb

If the above applies and you have a 64bit architecture, choose the following link:

https://marrat.homelinux.org/D3lphin...n-0.9.2.tar.gz

If your architecture is 32bit and you download the .deb package, you should just be able to left-click it and follow the instructions in the Package Installer.

If you have a 64bit computer, download the .tar.gz file and open Konsole; in Konsole, navigate to the directory you downloaded D3lphin to (it probably will be in your home directory, if so, Konsole opens your home directory automatically), and type 'tar -zxvf d3lphin-0.9.2.tar.gz' (ignore the ' marks, they are only for reference). Then, type 'cd d3lphin-0.9.2' and './configure', followed by 'make' and lastly 'sudo make install'.

That should fix you up, if you have any errors, let me know

Note: Dolphin has been renamed "D3lphin", don't freak out at the name
              Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Which immediately brings about a shortcoming, Do(3)fphin does not yet have a means to invoke Adept for installing a deb.

Comment

My .01 cent comment. How could "does not yet have a means to invoke Adept" be considered a shortcoming? Dolphin is a File Manager, not a Package Manager.
                  Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

And besides, Adept isn't for installing local packages.
                    In Konqueror, the menu for debs opens an xterm with dpkg already opened.
                    For external use only.

Comment

Dolphin is probably aiming to become the ultimate file manager.
                      It is indeed snappier than Konqueror and already does most basic things.

But I would expect some context menu's for specific files like starting up a session to install a local package.
                      SheeEttin is correct, it's not Adept but a terminal that I was hoping for.

Another thing I miss is a tree view.

Comment

Working...
                      X