Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does removing xscreensaver (adept) trash system?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does removing xscreensaver (adept) trash system?

I noticed "xscreensaver" comes up when the monitor times out, but only after the kscreensaver that I have set up with "Configure Desktop" in KUBUNTU. I had guessed that the xscreensaver was redundant; for gnome or xfce and I would simply remove it and it's data and see what happens.

Why the ... does Adept then remove all manner of packages; that seem to be unrelated? It removed Nvidia-glx (for example)! About 20 major components.

How do I easily get them back? What's going on? Where did I go wrong?

I'm not a rank newbie (and I'm also not beyond an error, either). So what did I do bad?

How can I list what was just (before I stopped it) removed?

I'm sure I can't reboot successfully now; until I reverse this.

This is a critical problem for me.
    ---
    I could not install kubuntu-desktop (now using aptitude and hoping this would install what was removed) but I could not due to a "lock" of the stopped adept. Finally "killall dpgk" and the requested "dpkg --configure -a" alowed me to do it.

Now it looks like it would install some things but WHY are these packages "unused". I use them! Please help!
    The following packages are unused and will be REMOVED:
    abiword abiword-common abiword-help abiword-plugins anthy apport-gtk file-roller gnome-terminal-data gnumeric-common gnumeric-gtk
    gqview gtk2-engines-xfce gxine human-cursors-theme human-icon-theme human-theme libaiksaurus-1.2-0c2a libaiksaurus-1.2-data
    libaiksaurusgtk-1.2-0c2a libanthy0 libchewing3 libchewing3-data libdb4.3++c2 libgdome2-0 libgdome2-cpp-smart0c2a libgoffice-0-common
    libgoffice-gtk-0-3 libgtkmathview0c2a libots0 libt1-5 libwpd-stream8c2a mousepad onboard orage python-exo python-gtkhtml2
    python-virtkey scim-anthy scim-chewing scim-hangul scim-pinyin thunar-archive-plugin thunar-media-tags-plugin ubuntu-artwork xarchiver
    xfburn xfce4-appfinder xfce4-battery-plugin xfce4-clipman-plugin xfce4-cpugraph-plugin xfce4-dict-plugin xfce4-fsguard-plugin
    xfce4-icon-theme xfce4-mailwatch-plugin xfce4-mixer xfce4-mixer-alsa xfce4-mount-plugin xfce4-netload-plugin xfce4-notes-plugin
    xfce4-quicklauncher-plugin xfce4-screenshooter-plugin xfce4-session xfce4-smartbookmark-plugin xfce4-systemload-plugin
    xfce4-taskmanager xfce4-utils xfce4-verve-plugin xfce4-weather-plugin xfce4-xkb-plugin xfdesktop4 xfprint4 xubuntu-artwork-usplash
    xubuntu-default-settings xubuntu-docs
    The following NEW packages will be automatically installed:
    adept-batch adept-common adept-installer adept-manager adept-notifier adept-updater brltty ncompress p7zip-full xorg zoo
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    adept adept-batch adept-common adept-installer adept-manager adept-notifier adept-updater akregator ark brltty kubuntu-default-settings
    kubuntu-desktop language-selector-qt ncompress p7zip-full xorg zoo
    0 packages upgraded, 17 newly installed, 74 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 8872kB of archives. After unpacking 130MB will be freed.
    Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?]
    I said no and now I'm dead in the water. (Not a happy camper here) I'm trying to be civil, if you can't tell.

---

Now I've said yes. I can only guess, aptitude (I actually used Adept at first) thinks it should do this when I remove xscrensaver. xscreensaver is not part of Kubuntu base?

---

I've reinstalled every basic component I can think of and X still will not start. I'm getting errors about not finding the mouse and keyboard modules. I have reinstalled xorg, nv video, kdm, tried -phigh with xorg and nothing works.

What do I do now? What's missing and how do I tell?

Should I try ti reinstall everything that is installed on a base Kubuntu system. A long string of packages? I have of course tried oi reinstall kubuntu-desktop and it say all is well. It isn't.

Re: Why does removing xscreensaver (adept) trash system?

I found kbd and mouse errors along with glx too.

aptitude search xorg | more
    got me the following ideas.

aptitude install xserver-xorg-input-kbd
    So with that error solved after issuing startx, I also did...

aptitude install xserver-xorg-input-mouse
    Got me back into X. This is NOT for newbies.

This is TOTAL BS!

Comment

Working...
    X