X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What am I doing wrong?

Folks,
    This is really weird, but i can't help but think I am doing something wrong. I have a Biostar TF550 Mobo, with AMD64 x2 processor. I've had both the 64-bit and now the 32-bit version of 7.04 on this machine. There are just some programs that I can not install on this machine. Thought it was incompatibility with 64-bit OS, but have the same problem with 32-bit. The applications in question are "GoogleEarth" (Crashes after splash page), "AVG Antivirus" (Won't install or uninstall because of dependencies. Got a broken install that would not uninstall), "KlamAV" (Installs but won't upgrade. Compile errors). I've used Adept, Synaptic, and wget with same results. What am I missing here?
    AMD Athlon 64 4800x2 ; Biostar Tforce 550 ; 2gb ; dual-boot Kubuntu 8.04 & Kubuntu 9.04; Dual-boot XP & Vista.

Re: What am I doing wrong?

Originally posted by lwrver

What am I missing here?
    Kinda hard to tell, exactly. The Google Earth thing is most likely related to your video driver / xorg setup, because it is famous for stressing the display capability of your system. I would approach that as a separate issue from programs that don't seem to want to play nice with installing or configuration issues.

I've been a long-time user of AVG Anti-Virus on that OTHER computer in our house - the one the ladies use. I didn't know there was a Linux version of it. I'll confess that when I first installed Dapper a year ago, the first thing I installed was Klamav -- kind of a Windows-centric phobia, I guess. It was a bit of a Nazi, and I removed it and haven't gone back -- I'm behind a wireless router (with the default IP address changed, of course) and it just doesn't seem to be an issue anymore.

"compile errors" is an odd one on a package that you're pulling in from the repositories -- you ARE installing it from the appropriate repo, aren't you? :P

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
      I'll confess that when I first installed Dapper a year ago, the first thing I installed was Klamav -- kind of a Windows-centric phobia, I guess.
      thats exactly how i would describe it. :P
      <br />

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
        "compile errors" is an odd one on a package that you're pulling in from the repositories -- you ARE installing it from the appropriate repo, aren't you? :P
        Actually, KlamAV tries to update itself by its normal method (i.e. that).
        Unfortunately, this ends up installing a newer version to a different directory, meaning you have two different versions of KlamAV installed. I went through this myself once--it's what caused me to uninstall it entirely. I don't use an anti-virus program any more. (I do, however, have a firewall and a router.)
        For external use only.

Comment

I appreciate all the valuable comments folks. Guess I'm not as bad off as I thought. Nothing I can't live with. I'll look into the xorg issues and then try installing GoogleEarth again later.

Thanks!
          AMD Athlon 64 4800x2 ; Biostar Tforce 550 ; 2gb ; dual-boot Kubuntu 8.04 &amp; Kubuntu 9.04; Dual-boot XP &amp; Vista.

Comment

Working...
          X