This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox Swiftfox Comparison . . .

Just out of curiosity, what are the differences between Firefox and Swiftfox? I understand Swiftfox to be a Linux specific build, and as such the better choice, but Firefox works better and with fewer bugs on my system.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Re: Firefox Swiftfox Comparison . . .

Keep in mind, this is a Wiki, but ...Swiftfox
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

That's exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for, thanks.

By the way, why are there so many different builds for Firefox (Firefox, Swiftfox, Swiftweasel, Fasterfox, etc.), I mean, what's the deal? Are these really needed or are programmers just going crazy trying to prove their version is the best?
      Asus G1S-X3:
      Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

One could very well ask the question of Linux: Why are there so many variations? Developers have their own ideas/visions/concepts of what a Linux Distro should do "as they see it."

Comment

Hmmm, makes sense . . .
          Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog

One could very well ask the question of Linux: Why are there so many variations?
            Good one, Snowhog!

Positive answer: "Because every artist gets to follow his muse ...."

Negative answer: "Because there's no in charge here ..."

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
              Negative answer: "Because there's no in charge here ..."
              There's no 'one' in your statement!

Comment

Yep -- senility!

But isn't it logically correct, anyway?

Comment

I use swiftfox because of the flash support it has for 64 bit processors without any manual cofiguration.
                  I tried Enlightenment once, it was pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by bootdoc
                    I use swiftfox because of the flash support it has for 64 bit processors without any manual cofiguration.
                    That's a pretty good reason, but in Gutsy 64-bit there's a flash package in the standard repos, so it kinda becomes a non-issue after Feisty.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                      Yep -- senility!

But isn't it logically correct, anyway?

Hmm.

There's no "I" in Team.
                      There's "no" in Charge.

Comment

I'd like top try out Swiftfox on my system, but I am unsure about which architecture I should choose. My CPU is an Intel Core 2 Duo (E6550) and I run Feisty Fawn 64 bits Should I really choose the Prescott architecture? That seems quite weird.

Comment

Lots of advantages to getting it at:

Firefox, Thunderbird, Seamonkey: http://ubuntuzilla.wiki.sourceforge.net/

The authors have written a script to do the installing for you. Importantly you get the latest version & updates (notification of and option to install) (Not true of the FX you get through Adept.) Read their FAQ, too, for common issues.
                          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

dibl's right about the "no" statement being logically correct.
                            Since there is no noun/subject following "no," any statement regarding the truth value of that statement is vaccuously true (ie, you are making a claim about the empty set).

So there.
                            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by kallikles2003
                              I'd like top try out Swiftfox on my system, but I am unsure about which architecture I should choose. My CPU is an Intel Core 2 Duo (E6550) and I run Feisty Fawn 64 bits Should I really choose the Prescott architecture? That seems quite weird.
                              They have a nice little chart here.

Originally posted by Qqmike
                              dibl's right about the "no" statement being logically correct.
                              Since there is no noun/subject following "no," any statement regarding the truth value of that statement is vaccuously true (ie, you are making a claim about the empty set).

So there.
                              I just read it as "There is no "in charge"", meaning there is no "in charge" to be... It's hard to say, but I think you get it.
                              For external use only.

Comment

Working...
                              X