This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

terminal sessions applet problem

I have added the 'Terminal Sessions' applet to my panel, mainly because I find 'mc' is still the most efficient file manager for my liking. All the options work except one. The Root Midnight Commander option just falls over with no obvious error message. All the other options work fine; standard konsole, standard mc and even the root shell all work as expected.

When choosing root mc though, it asks for the password (the same as root shell does) but then just disappears when the password is entered.

If this were an application, I would look at the icon properties to see the actual command being given and then run that at a standard konsole to see what error message shows up. But, this is an applet not an application, so I don't know how to even find out what is causing the problem.

I would appreciate any guidance as to where I start to track down and/or solve this problem.

greywolf

Re: terminal sessions applet problem

OK I just installed MC and put "terminal sessions" applet on the panel to try and replicate you problem. I clicked on the sessions icon goto root mc, enter password and voila it disappeared. What the ..........

Well I was able to confirm your issue but I have no idea why. I would file a bug report seeing that it's not unique to your system. Maybe someone else can try to confirm.

eriefisher
    ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Found the problem.
      Open up Konsole and go to Settings > Configure Konsole > Session > Root Midnight Commander and change "Execute:" (up top) so that it reads just "sudo mc -c" (i.e. no single quotes). Works fine for me now.

I would file a bug against Konsole (assuming that the root MC session is built-in) and informing them of this.
      For external use only.

Comment

At present it says: su -c 'mc -c'

Is this also what you have?

eriefisher

Comment

No, I had "sudo 'mc -c'". "su -c 'mc -c'" gets me "su: Authentication failure".
          For external use only.

Comment

Even more confusion?

eriefisher

Comment

Like eriefisher, mine showed su -c 'mc -c'.

However, changing it to sudo mc -c with no quotes has fixed the problem.

I assume this is a missed carry over from 'original' kde in other distibutions that still use su and not sudo like (k)ubuntu.

Thanks so much for the guidance guys. If I have time later today, I will post a bug report for konsole

Comment

Working...
              X