This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: lightScribe

My link here describes what you do to get DVDs to play in Kaffeine.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Automatix2 will install the codec needed and lightscribe.
      getautomatix.com
      I tried Enlightenment once, it was pretty cool.

Comment

Please don't use Automatix unless you absolutely have to.
        It does horrible things. Horrible.
        For external use only.

Comment

Indeed, Automatix and the likes do things that are bending the rules.
          You might find some quick fixes that way but for a stable system you need to follow the rules.
          And those rules are not too hard to find.

Comment

Search the forum on 'automatix' and you will find numerous woes of those who did/were/are using it and ended up with a borked system. Basically, Automatix has the tendency to corrupt the /etc/apt/sources.list (among other things?).

You will be better off to stick with Adept Manager and/or Synaptic as your GUI package managers.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

*hipbumps thread*

Did you get your LightScribe drive fully functional yet? I'm starting to seriously consider buying myself one of the LightScribe drives I have for sale at work, but I'd feel more comfortable doing it if there was a success story using *buntu with it.

I really want a DVD burner, and I'd love to have a LightScribe as it makes for pretty labels that aren't a threat to slot load DVD players and/or drives like the stick on labels are. There are also TV shows I'd like to bring into work to leave for coworkers to watch in the break room, and I'm going to have to buy a DVD burner to do that, so I'd like to buy the one I really want the first time instead of buying something cheap for the short term and then going back to buy the good drive later.

Comment

It's not encouraging, DK:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=106197

Comment

I've only skimmed so far, but the people over there haven't said *anything* about the .deb files that come directly from LightScribe. I know these exist, even though they're technically beta, because I'd contacted the company about the availability of .deb packages instead of just the .rpm packages they had on their site, and they emailed me back half a year later asking me to test packages, which I couldn't because I didn't own any hardware yet.

I brought up the availability of the .deb packages earlier in the thread, and it sounds like the original poster tried them, I was just hoping to get a further report since he hasn't said anything since then.

edit: I skimmed a little better, and it looks like people are having luck with the pre-released debian packages from LightScribe's site. http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadsection/pse/ I would still like to hear back from the original poster, see what comes up, but I think I'd be willing to give it a go if I buy the drive from somewhere that'll accept a return of it without a restocking fee if I can't get it working.

Comment

Working...
                  X