This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lightScribe

I downloaded HP's lightSribe and the only instructions I found were on the ubuntu site. I followed the instuctions, downloaded and installed alien, downloaded and installed the two lightScribe rpm's in a terminal. Everything looked fine in terminal--they appeared to install. There's no .deb file on my desktop as I expected. There's no sign of lightScribe anywhere in my apps. adept shows alien was installed but shows no sign of lightScribe. I've typed in locate lightScribe in terminal and it returned only the location of the two rpm's I downloded.
    Can someone tell me where I went wrong and help me to get this up and running?

Re: lightScribe

Did you actually convert the rpm's to .debs?
    ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

...were you able to find any .deb files on lightScribe's website? I had sent them an email a while back, asking them if they'd support *buntu and other debian based systems, and they got back to me half a year later asking me if I'd beta test the .deb packages they'd put together for their hardware, but I didn't own any of their hardware yet, so I couldn't text it.

You might try contacting lightScribe directly and see if they have those .deb packages available if they don't have them on their website. I know they were at the testing stage three months ago, so if nothing else they'll have the test packages and you can help out. It might be easier than trying to convert .rpm files.

Comment

Always nice to have a company wanting to try new things (especially if that thing is supporting Linux).
        For external use only.

Comment

Thanks for the responses! Part of my problem was syntax and misspelling in terminal. The other part is I'm fairly new at working at the command line. When I finally got the first rpm to attempt to install it gave me a string of error messages.

I'll try contacting Lightscribe about the .debs.

Comment

Update!

I installed the pre-release .deb file for the first program 8). The second was unavailable as a .deb so I was finally able to install the rpm with alien . Both show up as installed in adept. I don't see them any where else though. Now I tried to start my burner K3b and the cursor did a little dance but the program didn't come up. >

Comment

If you can find the package in Adept, you can then go to Show Details > Installed Files and see where it installed its binaries (probably /usr/bin, or some combination of "usr", "local", "share" and/or "bin").
              For external use only.

Comment

Just 'gotta' ask: Do you actually have a LightScribe cabable CD device
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Ya Mon! I have a I O Magic lightscribe DVD installed

Comment

Cool.

How are you launching K3b? You should be launching it via K Menu | Multimedia | K3b

Comment

Thats where I'm launching from. Still no action!

Comment

Okay. Let's try another approach. Can you play a commercial DVD (in Kaffeine)? If not, then follow my HOWTO: Get commercial DVD playback in Kaffeine. Then retry running K3b. Why do this?

There are any number of 'shared' issues within *ubuntu, and the fact that one particular application isn't working, then ensuring that the other does sometimes remedies the other. In this case, both K3b and Kaffeine have to be able to access a CD/DVD.

Comment

gotta go for tonight. Be back tomorrow

Comment

I'll be around.

Comment

I'm back. Uuupp, Didn't have the jumpers set right. Works now but won't play dvd movies in any app I try with. Mostly get the same error message in all apps--Kaffeine, Xine, Movie Player--plugin missing. Drive burns fine though. I haven't gone back to try lightscribe yet. Will tackle that after these issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X