Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu to Kubuntu - VERY SERIOUS issues!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu to Kubuntu - VERY SERIOUS issues!!!

I recently changed my Ubuntu installation to Kubuntu, because I saw there seems to be significantly more KDE applications available. Unfortunately this has not been a pleasant experience at all.

First problem: There was no way in which I could manage to write to an external USB hard drive. First the disc simply did not mount. If one looked in the /dev folder, the disk was visible, but the automated mounting of the disk simply did not happen. After manually mounting the disk it was owned by root and no amount of chmod-ing or chown-ing could change that. So there I have an external disk that I could not write to. In Ubuntu, I did not have this problem. Yes, before you ask me this, I do have ntfs-3g and ntfs-config installed.

Second problem: I often used my Ubuntu-based laptop at home connected to my home network, using WiFi. I use a configuration with WPA-PSK security and TKIP encryption. After changing my Ubuntu installation into a Kubuntu installation, my WiFi connection at home continued to work without the slightest problem. Two weeks ago, however I went away for business and connected to a guest house WiFi network, which was a completely open un-encrypted WiFi network. On returning home, I could not find a way to get my home WiFi connection active again. The manual configuration utilities for Kubuntu only made provision for a very basic WEP security configuration and I could not find the WPA-PSK security and TKIP encryption option available. On browsing this forum, I saw numerous messages about the WiFi problems in Kubuntu, some describing the WiFi situation in Kubuntu Feisty as being a mess.

My question: Will this be sorted out when the Gutsy Gibbon is released next month? I really do not want to back to Windows, but these are two examples of things that simply work in the Windows environment. Attaching an external USB hard drive and connecting to WiFi are very straight forward things that users rightly expect to work without having to resort to a command line window. It is a perfect example of the simple things that must be sorted out fully in the Linux world if Linux really wants a chance to have an impact on the desktop.

Re: Ubuntu to Kubuntu - VERY SERIOUS issues!!!

In response to the first problem: Did you use sudo or add the mount options "uid=1000,gid=1000"?

In response to the main question: Don't know. Try a LiveCD or install it on another partition.
    Also, you do not have to use a command line at all in Linux--but it's very, very helpful (and much more efficient).
    For external use only.

Comment

Working...
    X