This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GRUB restarting at stage 1.5

Today I force-rebooted my computer while GRUB was at stage 1.5. I didn't think it would hurt anything, but now when I start up my computer, GRUB prints out "stage 1.5" and then just restarts. After restarting it does the same thing.
    I don't have my Kubuntu disk lying around (it's at home, I'm at college), but I was able to boot into an older Gentoo CD that I had handy. The partition that GRUB is on (reiserfs, 21 GB) shows up as clean. The GRUB files seem to be in the right place. Fortunately I can run most of the terminal-only programs on the Kubuntu partition.
    I'm absolutely baffled on this one. Any help is much appreciated.

-Pingveno

Re: GRUB restarting at stage 1.5

I'd reinstall Grub.
    For external use only.

Comment

I tried reinstalling grub using these commands
      Code:
      mkdir /mnt/ubuntu
      mount /dev/sda6 /mnt/ubuntu # sda6 is my root partition
      mount -t proc none /mnt/ubuntu/proc
      mount -o bind /dev /mnt/ubuntu/dev
      chroot /mnt/ubuntu bash
      apt-get remove grub
      apt-get install grub
      No go. So on the next round I used grub-install /dev/sda6. It said some to the effect of "state 1/2 has a problem".

I took a look around the Internet to find where /boot/grub/stage2 is, but instead found several stage files (including stage2 and stage1) in /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/.

I copied stage1, stage2, and reiserfs_stage1_5 over to /boot/grub and ran grub-install. No errors! I restarted and... same problem.

I'm fairly sure the problem is related to the corrupted files, but I'm again at my wit's end.

Thanks,
      Pingveno

Comment

Maybe this helps:

HOW TO: GRUB Methods - Toolkit
        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0

And there: Install or Re-install GRUB
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Perfect! I did the re-install, case 1. It worked perfectly!

Comment

Good.
            I don't know why it is, but the simple, front-end commands of root and setup always seem to work.
            I think the grub-install and other fancy stuff should be left for experts. I've never had to use it -- I only use root & setup, like you did here to solve your problem. (The grub-install runs in the grub shell when running your Kubuntu Linux OS, and it's a whole 'nother deal, I think).
            Congratulations on nailing this!
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
            X