This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing tar.bz2

I apologise for continually bothering you good people, but i'm having trouble using the console to install dictionaries i've downloaded for Stardict. I didn't seem to be able to get them via Adept, so they're now at: /home/malcolm/downloads/ (for example, stardict-cced-242.tar.bz2) and they need extracting to usr/share/stardict/dic/

To be honest, i'm struggling to learn a foreign language at what is possibly the wrong time of life;

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated....

Re: Installing tar.bz2

A quick google search found this:

http://stardict.sourceforge.net/Dictionaries.php

In a konsole you will have to be in the directory you downloaded the files to.

Code:
    cd /home/Destop/stardict
    Assuming this is where the files are?

eriefisher
    ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

I tried several combinations of the sourceforge instructions last night
      and finally gave up.

I've cd'd to /home/malcolm/Downloads/ which is where the dictionaries are, and if i put in (what it seems to suggest on the sourceforge page)
      Code:
      tar -xjvf stardict-cced-242.tar.bz2
      tar: stardict-cced-242.tar.bz2:
      i get:

Code:
       Cannot open: No such file or directory
      tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
      tar: Child returned status 2
      tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
      I am completely new to this - and at a loss to know as how to go about it.

Comment

Okay, I had a look at that startdic page this morning.

There is a ubuntu install Which also works for Kubuntu). It is in the .deb format (for debian based system which Kubuntu is).

So Download it from here:
        http://sourceforge.net/project/downl...mirror=surfnet

When you are finished you can right click on that and go to open with (or something) and install it directly with kpackage or gdebi. I am sorry I haven't used feisty for a while (am on gutsy). It6 should work fine. If you don't have gdebi installed you can do that from adept/synaptic.

Good luck.

Edit: If you have gdebi installed your download window (firefox) will ask if you wish to open it in gedebi. Say yes. You will have to give your password and it will install directly.
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

When you right click on the deb file, there will be a kpackage submenu. From that, just select install. You will have to enter your password. It doesn't fix dependancies. It will list what is missing and you can use adept to install those. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks, but i've installed stardict with Adept, it's manually installing the dictionaries for it that i'm having trouble with....

Comment

Stardict will have been installed 'where it is supposed to be' when you used Adept. So, from Stardict's home page, and clicking on the free dictionaries link, the instructions are:
              To install these tarball dictionaries, do this:

tar -xjvf a.tar.bz2
              mv a /usr/share/stardict/dic
              That means you need to open a console, change to the location where you saved the tar file, and from that location execute the two commands above. The first untars the file, the second moves the untarred file to /usr/share/stardict/dic

Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thank you all very much for the help, but i've just spent 3 hours trying all sorts of combinations of the command, and still no luck. The nearest i got was "Permission Denied".

I can live without Stardict.

Comment

tThere shouldn't be any commands. Go to adept, search for gdebi, install it.

ThenDownload it from here:
                  http://sourceforge.net/project/downl...mirror=surfnet

In firefox you will see open with gdebi and save to disk. Choose open with gedebi, give youor password (the one you give when logging in) and it should install directly.

If you want to save to disk or desktop do so. Rightclick on the .deb file and choose open with gdebi and off you go
                  HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

The matter at hand, with the extracted file, is that root needs to accomplish the move. Easy enough. From the console, type:
                    Code:
                    sudo mv a /usr/share/stardict/dic

Comment

Thank you all very much indeed for all the help, especially Snowhog for that last suggestion. I am deeply in your debt.

If ever you're in Suffolk, England - let me know.... i've got a gallon of 11 year old home-made cider with your name on it.

Comment

Well, I will most definitely keep that offer on my list. Glad that I was able to assist.

Comment

Working...
                        X