This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Amarok failure

1. I updated everything I could through Adept. No change.

2. I purged the install and reinstalled through apt-get. No change.

Same symptoms, same messages. This can't be a problem with Amarok, I'm thinking that it must be some kind of mismatched communication with an external library...

[edit]
    kain@IESF-NET:~$ amarok --version
    Qt: 3.3.7
    KDE: 3.5.6
    Amarok: 1.4.7

Comment

Originally posted by kain2396
      This *may* point to the problem. The available/installable Amarok package for Feisty Fawn is version 1.4.5

Are you running Kubuntu Feisty Fawn (7.04) or another release?
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hmm.
        Well, I'd try opening up Adept (or Synaptic, or whatever), searching for Qt, and reinstalling (or purging) packages like libqt3-mt. (You'll probably see a few packages for Qt 4, but don't bother; Amarok uses Qt 3.)

And, having had this post sitting around for half an hour without hitting "post", Snowhog come in a with a new one...
        I have Amarok 1.4.7 installed as well. In fact, "apt-cache show amarok" seems to say that there are three Amarok packages available to me, two 1.4.5s and one 1.4.7. Interesting. I can only find out where one is from: one 1.4.5 is from the Medibuntu repos. Can't tell about the other two.
        For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
          I have Amarok 1.4.7 installed as well. In fact, "apt-cache show amarok" seems to say that there are three Amarok packages available to me, two 1.4.5s and one 1.4.7. Interesting. I can only find out where one is from: one 1.4.5 is from the Medibuntu repos. Can't tell about the other two.
          My information on installed Amorak also says it's from the Medibuntu repos. I haven't had any notices via Adept that an upgrade to Amarok is available, so ....

Comment

Added:

The results of apt-cache show amarok | grep Filename: results in:
            paul@paul-toshiba-laptop:~$ apt-cache show amarok | grep Filename:
            Filename: pool/free/a/amarok/amarok_1.4.5-0ubuntu7+medibuntu1_i386.deb
            Filename: pool/main/a/amarok/amarok_1.4.5-0ubuntu7_i386.deb
            So I only have two packages, one from 'free' and the other from 'main' but both are version 1.4.5

Comment

Here's the version that's on my Gutsy system.
              Attached Files

Comment

When kain2396 posted he had version 1.4.7, and was posting in this section of the forum, I began to wonder exactly what version of *ubuntu he had installed - that piece of information was not provided. Given that the posting began here in Feisty, it was assumed that was the version he was using. Now, one has to wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by monte48lowes
                  Try this from the command line:

sudo apt-get remove --purge amarok

Then:

sudo apt-get install amarok

The --purge will remove all the configuration files etc.

Mike

ah yes, i forgot that that command is the equivalent of doing a "Complete Removal" with synaptic. but i guess it doesn't matter since it didn't work for him...
                  <br />

Comment

I am using Feisty and I have Amarok 1.4.7. It's in the repos.

Comment

Just to add to the mix and running Feisty:

Code:
                      dan@kubuntu:~$ amarok --version
                      Qt: 3.3.7
                      KDE: 3.5.7
                      I am also having some freeze up issues with amarok? When I open an audio file it will play fine but when trying to pause/stop or do anything else in Amarok it just hangs. I have not had the time to investigate though so I'm watching this thread.

eriefisher
                      ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

My problem is that on one of my machines, it won't start. When your collection is on a network drive and the network does not start at boot, amarok hangs.

Comment

For the record:

I'm running Feisty. Amarok 1.4.7 is available through feisty-backports (as outlined in the link from Amarok's site for Kubuntu)

Originally posted by SheeEttin
                          Hmm.
                          Well, I'd try opening up Adept (or Synaptic, or whatever), searching for Qt, and reinstalling (or purging) packages like libqt3-mt. (You'll probably see a few packages for Qt 4, but don't bother; Amarok uses Qt 3.)
                          I'll give this a try when I get back. I suspect this may be the problem, given the error messages.

Comment

Originally posted by kain2396
                            For the record:

I'm running Feisty. Amarok 1.4.7 is available through feisty-backports (as outlined in the link from Amarok's site for Kubuntu)
                            And there may be the real problem. Yes, following the link gets you to the page where you are told: "1.4.7 for Feisty Fawn and Gutsy Gibbon (official)." Following that link you come to:

"Amarok 1.4.7 has been released and packages are available for Kubuntu.

For users of Kubuntu 7.04, packages are in feisty-backports available from Adept Manager when you choose Unsupported Updates from the Updates tab of Manage Repositories.

Packages are also in the Gutsy development version."

And clicking on the feisty-backports link we see:

"Backports candidates are tested by several Backports developers before they are allowed to be placed in the repository. Backports packages are thus safer to use than the development distribution. At minimum the packages should be usable in a manner that the average Backports developer could test. However, given the nature of introducing newer versioned packages from a development distribution into a stable, released distribution, problems can arise. The most common side-effects would be a bug that escaped testing, or a new configuration file format (or other kind of incompatibility). If you have problems with a Backports package please report it in the [WWW] Backports bugtracker and not the main Ubuntu one."

This version of Amarok has not shown in the main repositories - yet - so I'm still of the opinion that 1.4.7 is what users of Gutsy are getting, but not Feisty.

Comment

Reinstalled libqt3-mt. No effect. I can't do a complete removal without removing all of KDE.

As far as the actual version, I did have 1.4.5 (the one that installed with Feisty) and that did the same thing, so I thought that maybe updating to the newest version would fix it. I'll gladly go back to 1.4.5 if people think they can debug that better than this version.

Comment

Referring back to my link that lists all the dependencies Amarok requires, you can check that each is installed, and of the correct version. Install those listed that are not installed on your system. For those that are installed, verify that the version number is correct.

Comment

Working...
                                X